SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-11-18, 02:40 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default ovens

ok i'll admit i hate buying stuff but i'm wondering if buying a new oven will use less electricity than my old one.

the oven i have at the moment is a double stack one (small and large) and its ermm 30+ years old yes you read right it was a handmedown when i was poor (still am i suppose but not as). my old one works perfect and has done for many many years but i fancy a change but only if its going to save me money.

the old oven is a bit leaky round the seals and i suppose not very efficient and not fan assisted but it works and cooks stuff perfect as i know how to use it inside out.

i use the top oven to cook pretty much every night or second night and occasionally use the bottom main oven.

now the problem. from what i have seen fan assisted ovens only come in the main oven and the smaller one on the top are usually standard convection.

so what do you think.. new oven or keep the old till its broken...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 04:38 PM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: ovens

Considering how expensive ovens are you'd not break even on it for many years, if at all. And yes, the fan is only ever in the bottom/main oven from the ones we looked at a few years ago so if you mainly use the smaller top oven you're not going to see much advantage I don't think.

Any chance you can get replacement seals to improve the current one's efficiency? Perhaps adapt your cooking routine to use a far more energy efficient microwave instead?

One last point - a new oven will almost certainly be scrap within ten to 15 years. Same with washing machines and all large white goods these days (some of which are even worse). Our washing machine was an early wedding present and is still fine 25 years later but new ones often last five years if you're lucky.
Old 02-11-18, 06:48 PM   #3
Talking Heads

Last time the element went on our built-in oven I just bought a whole new oven because it would have been £35 for the element or £95 for a whole oven and the thing was needing a right good clean and it was much easier to just disconnect and bin the old one.

If you have a working oven, just keep it, the amount of electricity saved would probably be negligible.

If you're cooking for one or two people, a small tabletop oven might be worth a try, we got one as a stand-in when the main one broke and have kept it.
Works surprisingly well and gets used regularly.
This sort of thing: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077P96Y4M/
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 06:52 PM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

If its working after all these years keep it. Modern stuff is only marginally better but is unlikely to last long.
Old 02-11-18, 06:56 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I'm with Sir Trev, the payback is the key and modern stuff pretty flimsy ( look at modern boilers ) and made in China or Turkey. If you can still get spares I would hang onto your present stove. Otherwise you can get microwaves with radiant elements inside that cook and brown food at the same time that are pretty efficient - but you still need a hob for some things...

https://www.samsung.com/uk/microwave...YGvA&gclsrc=ds

This is just a grill oven but dualit toasters are the dogs dangly bits, and good quality, it is a UK company but can't guarantee all their stuff made in UK.

https://ao.com/product/89200-dualit-...-42196-87.aspx

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 02-11-18 at 07:11 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-18, 12:52 AM   #6
Heorot

We revamped our kitchen 5 years ago and bought the A rated oven shown below. It is the dogs danglies but at the current price of around £500, not cheap. It has two fans and operates as a small top oven or a small bottom oven or both operating at the same time at different temperatures or, by removing a divider, as a single large oven.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/cooking-a...ven-bq2q7g078/

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-18, 11:25 AM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

i very much doubt that i would be able to get spares and at the moment its still working perfect. so yes i doubt i would save money buying a new one as the ones i'm looking at are northward of £500.

suppose thats what i get for going into currys for a new house phone and looking at all the nice new fancy stuff. note to self.. stay away from currys.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-18, 11:36 AM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quite a few places like this on the internet http://www.cooker-parts.co.uk/

Otherwise if manufacturer still in business often worth contacting them directly

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 07:39 PM   #9
Balky001
Mega Poster

Did you do a comparison on prices. I went to Curry's and looked at a cheapo oven but the Curry's website was £75 cheaper . Ended up getting it a bit cheaper at AO online. i don't think you'll save much on fuel bills but probably heats up a lot quicker

Alternatively, if you don't want a pristine one/ don't mind some marks on it, some do outlet specials with warranty. Did a check on a Hotpoint (don't know if any good and only one fan oven)

Curry's - £439

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/househ...48755-pdt.html

£360 (if you take out the Which £1 offer)

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p...ooker#/reviews

Outlet Store - £185 (if you take out the Which £1 offer)

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p...lectric-cooker

That said, even £185 of takeaways will probably save you more on the leccy bill
Old 07-11-18, 09:07 PM   #10
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

What are you cooking? Do you have economy 7?

I bought a slow cooker last year and I love it. Cheaper cuts of meat cooked slowly on cheap electricity are delicious.

I also have a microwave that browns, and I've never used it to do that! I really should read the instructions.

I have a Neff oven with various fancy settings and it circulates the hot air with a fan and vents. Plus has a bottom element for cheesecakes and pizza plus intermittent grill to brown a roast. As someone who bakes it's brilliant, but if your existing oven still works, why change it?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk