SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-09, 07:50 PM   #1
Baph

Default White lines that are unenforceable.

Following from comments made in Stradders' thread regarding the red mist of following the bike in front, a conversation sprang up about the use of white lines, when (if at all) to cross them etc.

I think some of this information would be useful, hence in this section. However, Stradders' thread really shouldn't of been derailled - to that effect, Stradders' please accept a public apology from me.

Mods, I would be most grateful if you could move posts from myself and Stu (at least) from the thread created by Stradders to this one. However, if that can't be done for administrative reasons, a breif summary as follows:

The discussion was opened by someone (I'm not sure who) stating something along the lines of Solid White Lines (SWLs) being placed for the guidance of car drivers primarily.

Whilst this is true, and crossing a solid white line is almost always an illegal act (which will get you into more trouble than speeding will), there are times at which you can legally cross a SWL.

As stated in the other thread, these times include:
- When an agricultural vehicle, horse, or cyclist is travelling below 10mph.
- When the road markings are not legally enforcable. This does happen unfortunately, and this is the interesting part (for me).

The lines can be unenforcable (as stated by Stu in the other thread) when there are no warning arrows prior to the SWL, or when the road isn't wide enough (as mandated under the Traffic Sign Regulations 2002).

However, there is another reason the markings can be unenforcable, and I posed the challenge of "name the other reason, and I'll buy you a pint the next time I see you."

So, does anyone (other than a serving officer of the law), know the other reason?

PS. Stradders' - again, apologies for the derail. I do note that you specifically requested your thread stay on track, hence starting this one.
Old 25-04-09, 08:15 PM   #2
simesb

Default Re: White lines that are unenforcable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
So, does anyone (other than a serving officer of the law), know the other reason?
When instructed to do so by an officer of the law...........
Old 25-04-09, 08:17 PM   #3
Woz

Where the solid line separates lanes travelling in the same direction. Sometimes used in tunnels and underpasses to discourage lane changing but not legally enforceable.
Old 25-04-09, 08:23 PM   #4
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
Where the solid line separates lanes travelling in the same direction. Sometimes used in tunnels and underpasses to discourage lane changing but not legally enforceable.
Bingo.

Damnit, I owe a pint now.

Although, it should be added that the SWL (or Double White Line - DWL) is not enforcable to vehicles within Lane 2 - but is enforcable to vehicles in Lane 1. This is because the regulations stated that the SWL must be on the right side of the vehicle.
Old 25-04-09, 08:24 PM   #5
Frank

Quote:
Bingo.

Although, it should be added that the SWL (or Double White Line - DWL) is not enforcable to vehicles within Lane 2 - but is enforcable to vehicles in Lane 1. This is because the regulations stated that the SWL must be on the right side of the vehicle.
you have been"owned"
Old 25-04-09, 08:26 PM   #6
Woz

Quote:
Forgot to stipulate that bit.

Quote:
Bingo.

I WILL cash that in one day
Old 25-04-09, 08:29 PM   #7
ArtyLady

I thought Ralph's post was interesting, I wonder if this case set a precedent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
...........They cautioned him for crossing white lines, which he accepted. At court they changed their prosecution to dangerous driving (******s). The motorcyclist defended this and the jury found him not guilty - quite logical as nothing he did was dangerous. So the police wasted a huge amount of time and (your) money.
Old 25-04-09, 08:45 PM   #8
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
When the road markings are not legally enforcable. This does happen unfortunately, and this is the interesting part (for me).

The lines can be unenforcable (as stated by Stu in the other thread) when there are no warning arrows prior to the SWL, or when the road isn't wide enough (as mandated under the Traffic Sign Regulations 2002).
These were guesses! I have no idea if they are true. Surely the road not wide enough doesn't happen very often that they would put a SWL down the middle?
I would love to know if the throw over arrows have any legal effect i.e. if they are required? but have never found any evidence
Quote:

However, there is another reason the markings can be unenforceable, and I posed the challenge of "name the other reason, and I'll buy you a pint the next time I see you."

So, does anyone (other than a serving officer of the law),
Surely that excludes woz as a driving instructor - driving law being a large par of his job
Quote:
know the other reason?

PS. Stradders' - again, apologies for the derail. I do note that you specifically requested your thread stay on track, hence starting this one.
Quote:
Bingo.

Awh, that's only half as useable information as alluded to.

I reckon a half pint then

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyLady View Post
Case law is always a precedent - I'll certainly file that one away
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-09, 08:49 PM   #9
Woz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Surely that excludes woz as a driving instructor - driving law being a large par of his job

Oi!!! I WILL have my pint!
Old 25-04-09, 08:52 PM   #10
Baph

Quote:
These were guesses! I have no idea if they are true. Surely the road not wide enough doesn't happen very often that they would put a SWL down the middle?
I would love to know if the throw over arrows have any legal effect i.e. if they are required? but have never found any evidence Surely that excludes woz as a driving instructor - driving law being a large par of his job
The Traffic Signs Regulations 2002 does indeed set out a minimum width requirement for SWLs. As it also sets out the fact there must be a minimum of two warning arrows prior to any SWL, and even the distance between them.

But I wouldn't advise challenging an officer at the roadside over this Act. It may not be to your benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyLady View Post
Quote:
Case law is always a precedent - I'll certainly file that one away
+1.

As for your half pint Stu, you're having a giraffe right guv'? Maybe Woz's pint should be downgraded to a half pint of shandy owing to his job...