SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-03-07, 10:01 PM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default Ohlins shod

I have finally got round to fitting my Ohlins shock to my curvy trackbike today!! Yeay!!

johnnyrod's gave me his settings he uses on the road, but as my bike will be used on track, I put some base settings on it that I pinched off a minitwin ...

Johnnyrod's settings were:-
comp 5 clicks from fully in
rebound 16 clicks from fully in
(short dogbones)

Mintwin settigns were:-
comp 14 clicks from fully in
rebound 10 clicks from fully in
(normal dogbones).

I have to say the minitwin settings are horrid!! Way – way to slow on the compression - can tell that just bouncing on it in the garage … the minitwin dude was a bit clueless mind! ... but he did say someone else set it up for him ... Johnnyrod, I know your dogbones are different, but with 5 clicks on compression, yours must be obscene?!!?

I didn’t fiddle any further as I was just pleased to get it put in and it was tea time , I'll try and set it up more how I think it should be when I get it to the track.

So out of interest, Anyone else care to share their settings (in particular curvy minitwin riders ).

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 04-03-07 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-03-07, 11:42 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ohlins shod

Mine are probably prettty poor tbh, I've got everything soft and lazy for comfy winter riding. My suspension fu is pretty weak at the best of times.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 09:38 AM   #3
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Mine are probably prettty poor tbh, I've got everything soft and lazy for comfy winter riding. My suspension fu is pretty weak at the best of times.
After posting this last night (and then turning my comp off) I realised that I actually bounced the bike whilst it was on its bobbin stand, so would have got a false feeling/reading ...

I will/intended to bounce it properly before I ride it ... but I was just really getting it put in yesterday ...

I'd still be interestedin other ppls setting mind
Old 05-03-07, 12:30 PM   #4
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

My settings were written down by the Ohlins guy so maybe he coutned from the wron gend. I know whenthe shock came new it had a base set-up which was safe but not sporty - less comp and more rebound. If I remember at the weekend I'll check mine and let you know. Change of dogbones shouldn't have a massive effect on the damper settings, at least for a first try.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 12:43 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Cool,

Bearing in mind the shock has height adjustment, how come you went for dogbones as well?
Old 05-03-07, 04:05 PM   #6
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Got the dogbones ages ago with the original shock, as it stock trim it's not easy to keep tight on exits of bends. I tried the Ohlins at normal height first, then cranked it up to full height, then if it tankslapped I would let it down again. It didn't (doesn't), though with a BT014 on the back instead of 010 it is bloody quick, but as long as you don't lob it on the ground turning in then it's much happier leant over than it used to be (this is true regardless of which back tyre really). I talked to the Ohlins guy I used for set-up (£ but thanks Hottrax) to see which was better to use - dogbones or adjuster - in case I need to let it down again, and out of curiosity; both move the swinging arm downwards but the adjuster also moves the linkage. Bottom line was don't worry about it, do whichever.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 05:09 PM   #7
chunkytfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Cool,

Bearing in mind the shock has height adjustment, how come you went for dogbones as well?

rob whittey used dogbones and the full height of the shock last year to great effect by winning the thunderbike championship.

I assume it works okay just turns bloody quick
Old 05-03-07, 05:40 PM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg View Post
johnnyrod is using it on the road ... is there call for that aggressive a setup??

After reading his report on the matter there is a bit more to his decision

I'd have left the dogbones on mine, but for minitwins they are illegal!!
Old 05-03-07, 07:49 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Mine is full length and also has a set of JHS dogbones in it... Plus the front's down a little with the GSXR front. Flighty, some would call it, but I like it. I don't use the full turn-in speed on the road, but it's possible to make very, very fast corrections if need be. Very much a matter of taste, though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 07:55 PM   #10
NedSVS

When I read posts like this it makes me glad I went for Maxton suspension, as it arrives pretty damn close to what you require, because they have taken your weight and riding style into account when they set it up.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote