SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-05-13, 08:45 AM   #1
chrism156

Default Rain

Anyone else getting bored with this weather? Just recently passed my mod 2 and only had about 4 trips out but the rest of the time has been ****ing it down so haven't bothered!
Old 29-05-13, 08:55 AM   #2
Pricey12

Default Re: Rain

I know the feeling.

My bike has spent much more time sat in the garage than being used recently. Was going to use her for work tomorrow but the forecast is pants. I don't mind riding in the rain if I have too, but it's not fun.
Old 29-05-13, 08:56 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

and just how do you expect to gain valuable experience in other conditions if you avoid them ?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-13, 08:57 AM   #4
granty92

hate the rain, i still feel like i just passed my test yesterday and want to ride all day everyday, but this poo weather keeps stopping me, got a decent morning today though so rode to work fingers crossed it doesn't rain on my way home
Old 29-05-13, 08:58 AM   #5
Pricey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
and just how do you expect to gain valuable experience in other conditions if you avoid them ?
I have plenty of experience in the rain, hence the reason I avoid it now (If i can)
Old 29-05-13, 08:59 AM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricey12 View Post
I know the feeling.

My bike has spent much more time sat in the garage than being used recently. Was going to use her for work tomorrow but the forecast is pants. I don't mind riding in the rain if I have too, but it's not fun.
Perspective I suppose, with the right kit, ridding in the rain can be great fun, give wonderful practice of smooth control, and once you're confident, ideal opportunity to slid the bike about a bit at far lower road speeds than in the dry.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 29-05-13, 09:04 AM   #7
granty92

i also have experience in riding in the rain as my bike is used for work all year as the car is boring, i just dont like riding in it because its just yuk
Old 29-05-13, 09:04 AM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricey12 View Post
I have plenty of experience in the rain, hence the reason I avoid it now (If i can)
I can only presume your idea of plenty is different to mine, 35 yrs and I still practice to maintain the skills I have, however; once again I'll presume you have the right kit to stay dry, if you're not getting wet, and as you say have plenty of experience (which should make it no more difficult than the dry), why not use the bike
Old 29-05-13, 09:05 AM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I quite like a good ride out in some wet and wild conditions. Hitting a wheelie bin that blew onto the M6 was maybe taking it a bit far though
Old 29-05-13, 09:05 AM   #10
Pricey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Perspective I suppose, with the right kit, ridding in the rain can be great fun, give wonderful practice of smooth control, and once you're confident, ideal opportunity to slid the bike about a bit at far lower road speeds than in the dry.
Fair point.

I did a fair amount of commuting up and down the A12 in all weathers a few years ago which has probably made me a bit adverse to riding in rain these days if i can avoid it. Still, if I had no option I would do it again as it's still quicker than sitting in traffic in a car.