SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-07-08, 08:24 AM   #1
Aks

Default Cutting out and unexpected display.

Hey,

Right i'm new here and new to my SV650s K4. Picked it up on sunday and had one slight problem which hopefully someone can help me here with please.

Before i start if your wondering why i haven't consulted my handbook its because its in my flat in Bristol and i'm currently in London.

Anyhow... I was riding along yesterday (just come of the M4 started at bristol) and got to central london, In central London at the traffic lights i stuck my bike in neutral and that wasen't a problem but one time when i put it in netural then went to put it back into first gear it cut out and took me a while (about 30 seconds) to get started again. The engine temp was 100 odd degrees fluctuating between 95 - 103 and a logo which i thought looked like a water symble came up on my screen.. It was like a longish looking jug with what looked like water coming out of it. My oil is all clean and stuff so i'm not 100% sure went wrong here but your advice would be appreciated please.

Thanks,

Adam
Old 09-07-08, 08:46 AM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Slight problem...

Check your coolant levels; I'm not sure where the thingymabob is on a pointy (i.e. your model), but on the curvy you have to peer through the frame on the right hand side (the side with the throttle).

Matt
Old 09-07-08, 08:49 AM   #3
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aks View Post
a logo which i thought looked like a water symble came up on my screen.. It was like a longish looking jug with what looked like water coming out of it.
That sounds like the oil symbol, but so long as you didn't see any red lights along with it, I wouldn't worry.

Chances are, it's a faulty side stand switch. Take it apart & give it a good cleaning.

Also, welcome to the mad-house!
Old 09-07-08, 08:49 AM   #4
Aks

Sorry to sound like a complete idiot... But is that the little container thing which sits above the throttle? and to change it can i do it myself or does it have to be taken to a garage?

Cheers
Old 09-07-08, 08:52 AM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aks View Post
Sorry to sound like a complete idiot... But is that the little container thing which sits above the throttle? and to change it can i do it myself or does it have to be taken to a garage?
That bottle is the front brake reservoir.

Coolant... if you look at the right side of the bike (from the rider perspective - so throttle grip side) whilst standing a couple of feet away, look at the rider seat. Then look just below it, there's a triangular piece of plastic. Look just to the rear of this, and bingo! coolant reservoir.

As for changing/topping up... nah, you can do it yourself. Draining can be a swine though, so I'd just top it up rather than change it completely (unless you really have to change it).
Old 09-07-08, 08:54 AM   #6
600+

erm no that is the brake fluid reservoir

the side stand switch is at the side stand....you will see it as your side stand pushes it in when lifted
Old 09-07-08, 08:55 AM   #7
Aks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
That bottle is the front brake reservoir.

Coolant... if you look at the right side of the bike (from the rider perspective - so throttle grip side) whilst standing a couple of feet away, look at the rider seat. Then look just below it, there's a triangular piece of plastic. Look just to the rear of this, and bingo! coolant reservoir.

As for changing/topping up... nah, you can do it yourself. Draining can be a swine though, so I'd just top it up rather than change it completely (unless you really have to change it).

Cheers mate, I'll go out in a bit and get some coolant. As i've said i'm new to the sv's and stuff and quite new to biking so i'll sound like na idiot but theres only one way to ask lol.

*Edit* - Can anyone recommend a good coolant please?

Last edited by Aks; 09-07-08 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-07-08, 09:15 AM   #8
Baph

Check the coolant first. I reckon it's the side stand switch, not the coolant that's your issue.

If the bike is running hot, it's still more likely to be the thermostat controlling the radiator fan than it is the coolant.

What I think happened, was that when you put the bike in gear, the bike thought that the side stand was down (sticking contacts in the switch probably), and for your safety, cut the engine.

Clever, these modern combustion engines - except when they think too much.
Old 09-07-08, 09:21 AM   #9
BillyC
Mega Poster

Suggest you bring it to Soho on Friday and get someone to look it over.

I thought the coolant expansion tank was on the left side of the pointies - but it's been a while since I looked

If you're running that hot, then coolant is probably the problem... as for cutting out - could be something simple like your idle speed. If the oil pressure is on when the engine is running, you should address that immediately.
Old 09-07-08, 09:24 AM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC View Post
I thought the coolant expansion tank was on the left side of the pointies - but it's been a while since I looked
It may be, it's been a while since I looked at it, and I may be thinking of the rear brake.