SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-05-09, 03:19 PM   #1
pete m

Default Spend £117 & change on bike - but no change in bike

Aoint it great - i spend a wopping, heart breaking £117 getting the head race bearings fixed, pick it up today, thinking " ah, now i will have a lovely stable front end again ..." go 20 m up the road and guess what, still feels exactly the same, front end wobbles as you go along at slow speed .. WTF ? now what...think " how do i know theyve done anything?" feels like theyve let my bike sit there for the whole bank holiday w/e, and then give it back on tues having not touched it
i ring them up, speak to the bloke who worked on it, he says there was a notch, but he says that it should be better and says about going round corners like a 50p piece, but its in a straight line ive got the prob...now he says it could be the wheel bearings, tyyre pressures , suspension ...?

not happy !
any bright ideas o mighty org ? G1 ZX6R
Old 05-05-09, 03:22 PM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Spend £117 & change on bike - but no change in bike

nob, he sold you headrace bearings without hearing the actual issue?
Demand compensation and go somewhere else. get your wheel bearings checked, suspension and tyre pressures etc. You can do it all yourself. If you can raise the front of your bike give the wheel a wobble see if there's any play etc etc. A proper garage would check this for free before jumping in and doing the head bearings.
Old 05-05-09, 03:22 PM   #3
Grinch

I would say check that the top yoke nut is not to tight first, people tend to over do it and it screws the front end feel up no end.
Old 05-05-09, 03:23 PM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
I would say check that the top yoke nut is not to tight first.
Good call.
Old 05-05-09, 03:39 PM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
nob, he sold you headrace bearings without hearing the actual issue?
Demand compensation and go somewhere else. get your wheel bearings checked, suspension and tyre pressures etc. You can do it all yourself. If you can raise the front of your bike give the wheel a wobble see if there's any play etc etc. A proper garage would check this for free before jumping in and doing the head bearings.
This would depend, somewhat, on how the issue was brought to the garage, if pete_m has asked them to change the headraces, they've found a small notch in them, and changed them for new ones, it's not really their fault if that hasn't magically transformed the bike into a beautiful handling machine.

If, on the other hand Pete has asked them to diagnose the fault, they've blamed it squarely on the headraces, and nothing's got better after he's paid for them to be fixed then that's a rather different matter.

All sorts of things could be at fault with the actual handluing issue:
Overtight head races, as mentioned by Grinch, an old favorite.
Worn wheel bearings
worn tyres
poor wheel alignment
Shot chain & sprockets
Worn swingarm bearings / linkage

All the above chasis components can cause issue.

Jambo
Old 05-05-09, 07:43 PM   #6
pete m

to be clear - when i threw the last £100 at the money pit a coupla weeks ago gettting new C & s , chap picked up the front end and said " feel that , your nead bearings are shot ..." then when the bike started to wobble front end wise , i put 2 + 2 together and said to Chas - do the head races ...any unreasonable thinking going on here so far ?

tyre pressures were a little out - 36 raer, 32 front so ive evened them up and thats helped ...not cured it tho...

btw - good tip about overtightening the nut...this must be a torque issue right ??

Last edited by pete m; 05-05-09 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added some more !
Old 05-05-09, 08:18 PM   #7
speeds91

There has been a massive issue with bikes wobbeling at low speeds, this has been due to the addition of top boxes, as mad as it sounds the aerodynamical disturbance of a top box causes a vibration through the entire bike.
If you let go of your handle bars and find a wobble REMOVE the top box then ride again...you will find it much more pleasant.

This is not the case with all top boxes ive had some which were fine others which scared me the wobble was that bad...only happened at low speeds (less than) <15mph, high speed was fine.

Even if this information is not relevant to you, reccommend to a friend before wasting any money. It costs nothing to test.

Last edited by speeds91; 06-05-09 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 11:34 PM   #8
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete m View Post
tyre pressures were a little out - 36 raer, 32 front so ive evened them up and thats helped ...not cured it tho...
Err...what do you mean evened them out?

Personally I like 36f 42r for my G1
I needed head race bearings done on mine - you could not tell a problem if you raised the front wheel on a stand because it was the bottom set that was most worn so you needed the weight of the bike on them to feel the problem. I was fortunate enough to be able to get them replaced by a very reputable outfit
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 07:15 AM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
This would depend, somewhat, on how the issue was brought to the garage, if pete_m has asked them to change the headraces, they've found a small notch in them, and changed them for new ones, it's not really their fault if that hasn't magically transformed the bike into a beautiful handling machine.
True but I thought pete_m woudn't have bothered posting if that was what had happened.
Old 06-05-09, 10:24 AM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds91 View Post
There has been a massive issue with bikes wobbeling at low speeds, this has been due to the addition of top boxes, as mad as it sounds the aerodynamical disturbance of a top box causes a vibration through the entire bike.
If you let go of your handle bars and find a wobble REMOVE the top box then ride again...you will find it much more pleasant.

Even if this information is not relevant to you, reccommend to a friend before wasting any money. It costs nothing to test.
I've not had any handling issues with my topbox (when riding at legal speeds). I'll go as far to say that with my topbox fixed on and smoe weight in it, my bike handles better