SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-07-09, 07:31 PM   #11
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Default Re: Front end chatter

Drag mate, I don't think a "Pro" is needed...well not yet anyways.

Just need to appraoch the sitution in a logical manner. It could indeed be front or rear causing it.....

First thing is to check everything is adjusted correctly/torqued up right. ie chain, Steering , wheels etc .

You said Ter had the forks set up for track....what exactly has bee done to them?....ask Ter.

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-09, 07:32 PM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

how was the bike with the ZX shokky before the front end swap?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-09, 08:10 PM   #13
drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by custard View Post
yeah that could be a plan. proly needs the sag and all sorts sorting - witchcraft obviously

btw is it chatter or weave?
Ummm define the diff there ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST View Post
Drag mate, I don't think a "Pro" is needed...well not yet anyways.

Just need to appraoch the sitution in a logical manner. It could indeed be front or rear causing it.....

First thing is to check everything is adjusted correctly/torqued up right. ie chain, Steering , wheels etc .

You said Ter had the forks set up for track....what exactly has bee done to them?....ask Ter.

I'll get on to Ter so and ask him what way they were sprung or what springs are in there

Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
how was the bike with the ZX shokky before the front end swap?
Fairly ok, i was suffering with front end bobbing on gear changes, going up gear i mean, and coming out of corner she would drift a little, and was a bit harsh over bumps.
Old 26-07-09, 08:29 PM   #14
custard

weave/tank slap - large handful and it snakes...

chatter = tyre skipping on the road surface.

if it runs wide on exit you need more rear compression.

try this

http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/Guides/...up.htm#DAMPING
Old 26-07-09, 08:48 PM   #15
drag

Ah ha, deffo not a case of a tank slapper, so we just have chatter, @ the moment she's solid in the corners, but i'l a little nervous about flinging her in to the corners as the hard acceleration on the way out shows the chatter, much like straight line acceleration chatter, road surface of course makes it better or worse
Old 26-07-09, 08:50 PM   #16
noob-saibot

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag View Post
Ah ha, deffo not a case of a tank slapper, so we just have chatter, @ the moment she's solid in the corners, but i'l a little nervous about flinging her in to the corners as the hard acceleration on the way out shows the chatter, much like straight line acceleration chatter, Irish road surface of course makes it worse
edited that there for ya, lol
Old 26-07-09, 08:51 PM   #17
drag

Fudging irish roads, more like dirt tracks !!!
Old 26-07-09, 08:56 PM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag View Post
Fairly ok, i was suffering with front end bobbing on gear changes, going up gear i mean, and coming out of corner she would drift a little, and was a bit harsh over bumps.
have you checked that the lower bolt on the shokky is not fowling the dog legs? i had this and it caused all sorts of trouble...

another thing is, if the rear of the bike is higher than standard and you have put a GSXR front end on which is lower than standard then its going to be very twitchy and unstable at high speeds. also very sensitive to handlebar input.

click the rebound up a couple on the front and see how it goes.. i know mine had a really bad weave at about 80ish because the suspension was to 'soft' (more reactive less damped) at the front.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-09, 09:25 PM   #19
drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
have you checked that the lower bolt on the shokky is not fowling the dog legs? i had this and it caused all sorts of trouble...

another thing is, if the rear of the bike is higher than standard and you have put a GSXR front end on which is lower than standard then its going to be very twitchy and unstable at high speeds. also very sensitive to handlebar input.

click the rebound up a couple on the front and see how it goes.. i know mine had a really bad weave at about 80ish because the suspension was to 'soft' (more reactive less damped) at the front.

I know the bolt was close to the dog bones when we fitted it, but i dont think it's catching on the bones, i'll see if we can check it over the comming days.

i've a 120/70 on the front so , it's ment to be the closest to the stock front end.
Old 27-07-09, 11:13 AM   #20
custard

oddly - you may find you have too much rebound on the front and the forks cant extend quick enough so they pump down and then bottom out which causes the chatter. conversely this may be not enough compression...

but hey if its fine going in, just get the front wheel off the ground on the way out - hey presto no more chatter