SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-01-07, 01:16 PM   #1
drumroll

Default Renntec Luggage question

hi folks

keen to get a renntec rack. seems they are only made to fit the k3/k4. anybody know of any differences between them and my K6 that would prevent me fitting one? have searched to forum but nothing on here about it!

ta!
Old 29-01-07, 02:41 PM   #2
andyaikido

Get the K4. The K3 is slightly different around the rear subframe, I think.

K3's have a different tank and seat height. Maybe subframe is different too, or sits at a different angle.

Doesn't have the silly toolbox thing hanging down either.

K4 onwards are identical apart from colours.

HTH
Old 29-01-07, 06:11 PM   #3
Banus

Default Rentec

I just bought a Rentec rack from e bay for £9.99 in immaculate condition.
Two points. (1) Mine has a sticker on it stating max weight capacity is 2 1/2 kilos - which aint much - is it going to be of much use ? (2) Although it was supposed to fit a 99 - 02 models (and mines a K1 curvy) the holes didn't line up with the grab handle holes on the bike and I had to elongate them using a file. Fits and looks great though.
Old 29-01-07, 09:33 PM   #4
drumroll

cheers for the info guys.

good point about the max weight - i didnt know that. might have to look for something else as i im sure a tent and stuff will weigh loads more!!
Old 29-01-07, 09:44 PM   #5
BILLY

To be honest on my rentec rack I load tent, double air bed, ground sheet and 2 sleeping bags that lot weighs more than 2.5 kilos and I've never had any problems and I have covered 100s of miles like that
Old 30-01-07, 03:40 PM   #6
Banus

Billy,
I agree with you. When I saw how sturdy the rack was, and the quality of the material it was made from I was surprised to see a sticker saying max weight 2 1/2 kilos - the two didnt seem to marry up !! Kept looking at the sticker trying to see if a '1' had rubbed off from in front of the '2'
I shall be putting a one man tent and sleeping bag on it - so no probs there I hope !
Old 30-01-07, 04:14 PM   #7
petevtwin650

I am agreat fan of Renntec racks having had used them before on some of my previous bikes, however, although the quality is as good ,the rack fixes only using two bolts, and not four as before. I know this is because of whats available, but it does make one worry more when lolading it up. Also be prepared for the bolts to loosen and the rack to drop onto the rear bodywork, even if you use loctite or similar on the bolts.

I now only fit the rack as required. A 5 minute job.
Old 30-01-07, 04:59 PM   #8
Banus

Nice one ! Thanks for the advanced warning. I'll be on my guard ! Duck tape at the ready then