SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-09-11, 08:16 PM   #1
Bicastf

Default Engine bolt removal? - fitting crash bungs.

Am trying to fit a set of R & G's but having big problem removing the nut from the engine bar even broke a socket.

Spoke to mechanic but he not got any idea's

Anyone had the same problem, any help would be welcomed

Bike is K0 SV650 fully faired
Old 15-09-11, 09:09 PM   #2
Wobbly

Default Re: Engine bar

You might want to try some Plusgas, it's much better than WD40 for freeing seized bolts.
Old 15-09-11, 09:14 PM   #3
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Engine bar

Penetrating oil, most would work. It sounds like Donkey Kong was hungover on Monday

Put a ratchet on the other side of the bar and have it to take the tension. Use a bloody big breaker bar and scaff pole for a very good measure.

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-11, 10:40 PM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Engine bolt removal? - fitting crash bungs.

Have you tried 'shocking' the bolt/nut with a nice hit from a hammer. Attach the socket onto the nut and knock it with the hammer, try to do the same whilst attempting to undo it. Without damaging your tools if possible-use someone elses to prevent this
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-11, 12:20 AM   #5
Bicastf

have tried WD40 didn't work will try the penetrating oil or plus gas after tried hammer method

Used a scaffolding bar and that's how i broke the socket luckily it was the older one

Thx for the help so far

Last edited by Bicastf; 16-09-11 at 12:21 AM.
Old 16-09-11, 06:38 AM   #6
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Were you using a ratchet handle or a breaker?

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-11, 11:05 AM   #7
Badeye

I have just recently fitted R&G Crash Bobbins to my K3 and those engine nuts were hard as hell to get off, luckily for me my grandad was an engineer for 50 years and past me on a bad ass socket kit which did the trick however it did still take me on one side of the bike and my brother on the other side removing the nuts at the same with alot of force and they soon started to shift.

Good luck with it.
Old 12-05-13, 04:16 PM   #8
Jammy

Have exactly the same issue. To the extent my crash bungs are still sitting there, unused. Me and Winder tried using a very long breaker bar, to no avail. A garage even tried an impact gun on it and no budge.
Old 12-05-13, 04:24 PM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

in extreme cases here's what to do, make sure you have a good 6 sided socket to start with, have applied penetrating fluid a hour or two previously, then use a blow torch to heat the nut ( this can be made more effective if you use an ice pack on the bolt at the same time), if that doesn't look like it'll work "stop", cut the nut off and replace it.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote