SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-08-19, 01:14 PM   #1
Dannyralph86

Default Fuel & Carburetor

Hi everyone, thanks for accepting my account.

Ok so I have an SV 650 s 1999.

After relatively long rides my bike will bog down and backfire allot, if you open the throttle it's fine just below 5k and it plays up...

I've now balanced the carbs, cleaned them, set the mixtures as best I can but it's almost like the carbs empty of fuel which a pin it, once I've cruised for a short time it seems all good again.

I've also changed the spark plugs, oil, fuel lines etc.

The bike is completely standard except and exhaust which was on it when I got it, the issue didnt appear to be present when I bought the bike but since I hadnt ridden it far I'm guessing it's been an issue the whole time I just didnt know until my first proper ride

Any ideas or input grateful.

I dont know a huge amount about v-twins so im at a loss.

Regards

Dan
Dannyralph86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 03:03 PM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fuel & Carburetor

As you have done work on the Carbs make sure you put the Cap back on the Front cylinder Vacuum spigot that you used as part of the Carb balancing,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/SV650Carb_Balance.html

If it's not that look to checking the Fuel filler and under the Tank to make sure the Fuel cap breather system is not kinked or blocked.Use the Forum search as there are posts over the years about these being blocked.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 03-08-19 at 03:04 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 03:09 PM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

If the carbs were emptying of fuel it would be worse on large throttle openings. The curvy does have a fuel pump, it's vacuum operated.

When you said you "set the mixtures as best you can" - the air screws should be about 2.5 turns out. You could try a plug check (for mixture), although with modern fuels I don't know how accurate they are.

Are the carb vac covers (nipples) in place? This is the front one:

http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/...utside_lbl.JPG

A v twin is like any engine, a pain in the neck when it goes wrong.

One perennial problem on carb'd SV (curvys) are the choke plungers. They frequently stick on and generally make the bike run badly.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 07:51 PM   #4
Dannyralph86

Thanks guys.
The cap is over the front cylinder balance nipple, I added a pipe for next time..
I had the screws 2.5 turns out as per the manual but it wouldn't run.

Now I have the front cylinder at 3 turns out and the rear at 2 3/4 turns.

The fuel filter (inline filter) had rust in it so tried to replace but the filter was too big to fit under the tank so cleaning the old one was the only option.

I went for a long ride this afternoon think I've fixed it now except the top end is a bit noisy so need to search for a thread about how to do that on this thing.

I did check the choke plunges were sliding etc as I thought that could be an issue but they were fine, I had to replace a fuel line that snapped and the cap for the balancing nipple was split so I think a mix of air leaking through that cap, a dirty fuel filter and dirty unbalanced carbs all played a role.

Thanks again for the comments.
Old 03-08-19, 08:56 PM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Set the mixture screws back to 2.5 turns. Even if you had a different filter, exhaust etc. there is pretty much no need to adjust these. If it won't run like that then you've got a problem of some sort such as an air leak, but it sounds like you're working your way through some stuff just now. When you say noisy top end, do you mean tapping or the camchain rattle? If it's the latter then it could be because the original tensioners are clapped. They're a bit crap anyway, the 2003 ones go straight in and are a much better design. If you wind the engine backwards with a socket a turn or two and next time it runs it's quieter until you thrash it, then yeah they're toast. You can also put it in 3rd and bump it backwards a couple of times, works just as well. If it's appy then you can check the valve clearances but they tend not to go anywhere. Has it got a lot of miles on it?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 01:04 PM   #6
Dannyralph86

It's got just under 24k on it.
Sounds more like valve clearances to me but as I say I'm a total newbie to bigger bikes and engines.
It wont run at 2.5 turns out, it did have an air leak from the nipple you balance it from on the front carb but I sorted that out when I balanced them.

I'll give it a a turn backwards and see how I get on with that.

I was tempted to just out it in a garage but I cant really afford it at the moment and I'm good with doing my own work just not familiar with V-Twins
Old 04-08-19, 01:14 PM   #7
Dannyralph86

Would the timing chain tensioners cause the spluttering?

When you full throttle it the bike is fine but if you try and partially hold it open it feels like it drops down to 1 cylinder and then picks up again.

In corners its causing nose dive and acceleration before I'm even round the bend, its normally only when hot and if I turn it off for 10 minutes it most of the time sorts it out, sometimes it doesnt sort it but after thrashing down the road a bit it seems to sort itself out, intermittent issues like that cant be caused by an air leak as it would always be doing it.
Old 04-08-19, 01:34 PM   #8
Dannyralph86

Is it not possible that the Regulator Rectifier is the issue?

Once it warms up that's the biggest problem with it not running properly, how do you check it with a multimeter does anyone know?

I'll definitely look into the cam tensioners and probably get new gaskets and do the valve clearances just to rule everything out as a possible rattle.
Old 04-08-19, 02:38 PM   #9
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyralph86 View Post
It wont run at 2.5 turns out
this is probably a clue to your problem, by running it with the airscrews further out you may be covering up the problem. You are giving it a richer mixture which implies you may have an air leak. This is where I'd be focusing my troubleshooting, it's very unusual for a curvy not to run with its airscrews set at 2.5 turns.

Quote:
Would the timing chain tensioners cause the spluttering?
No, it's highly unlikely. The tensioners might be a source of noise if one or both have stuck which does happen on rare (ish) occasions. There are youtube vids showing the noise.

Quote:
Is it not possible that the Regulator Rectifier is the issue?
Wow, you are firing shots in all directions. The reg/rec is unlikely to be causing this problem unless the charge voltage was very low in which case you'd get a flat battery. Put your meter (set to DC voltage) across the battery with the engine running you should see about 14.4 V DC(above idle speed) if it's working well. It will be slightly less at idle.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 05:04 PM   #10
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Check the carb diaphragms for holes, it sounds like it's running lean. The bogging-surging when opening the throttle is classic. Is the airbox seated properly? As Seeker says, richening the idle mix is just masking the problem.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote