SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-04-10, 09:21 PM   #1
Jamesy D

Default Front forks, header pipes and belly pans

So, now with my Mod 2 re-test rapidly rushing towards me, next weekend is prime time for giving Suzy a pre-ride clean.

There are a couple of main issues that need addressing on my bike, the first and most obvious being that the front forks are rather pitted with what looks like degradation from road salt (white deposits on the fork lowers). I intend to get rid of it all, what's best for this, and what do I need to be careful of (ie: getting cleaning materials on discs/calipers)? I've been told either petrol, or a petrolium-based product or brake cleaner, any thoughts?

Secondly, the header pipes for both cylinders are looking a little sad. I'll be replacing it with a full new system soon enough, but is there any way of cleaning them up? I'm not worried about the discolouration of the metal too much (looks nice in my opinion), more about getting the gunk and grime off of them.

And thirdly, something that I realise I need is a decent belly pan. Anyone reccomend any decent ones for an '01 black curvy?
Old 24-04-10, 09:51 PM   #2
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Front forks, header pipes and belly pans

well depends on how bling you want your bike TBH.
As the queen of all things shiny I'd recommend taking the forks off, and stripping the laquer off completely, and leaving it off. Do this by painting on some good quality paint stripper of the non drip variety, and self nuetralising(not nitromorse, its carp)

The condition uderneath is surprisingly good. Thing is stones off the road bounce off and chip the laquer, then over time salt and grime gets under it, and corrodes whats there.

After stripping off the laquer I'd suggest getting your elbows greasy, some wet n dry paper of 240, 400,800 and 1200 grade, and get scrubbing. After this get some fine wire wool and a tub of autosol, which will bring everything up to a shiny finish. Never relaquer, as the same will happen again, just keep up with the shinyness.

You can get a lot of carp off the downpipes with barkeepers friend from Asda. mix to a paste, wack it on, go for a brew, come back and agitate with a green scourer and a little water. Warning it does get brown and messy. After this get the same grade of wet and dry and do the same process as the forks.

Belly pan, go to S2 concept and get a Roca one, but be un for a surprise at the mega bucks, but its worth it for the gorgeous elly pan.

Pics to follow, of the forks and pipes

If you intend on getting rid of the exhaust system anyway, the barkeepers friend alone will do, and for £1.98 a bottle, its cheap enough

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 24-04-10 at 09:57 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-10, 10:17 PM   #3
Owenski

As dizy said, if you like your shiny then the polished route is always an option.
If you're lazy then stip off the paint and stuff (just as you'd have to if you were polishing) then primer them and paint. I'd adivse thick tough paint such as wheel paint, or any type paint and then a laquer.

Just done the ones on the curvy in satin black engine paint and they look pretty dapper.

Dizzy I forget just how shiny your shiny shiny is you need sun glasses to view your bike on a bright day.

EDIT: forgot to add, I didnt primer the exhaust pipes as the primer wasnt heat resistant.

Last edited by Owenski; 24-04-10 at 10:19 PM.
Old 25-04-10, 07:32 AM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

It is an option to paint Matt, or indeed powdercoat your forks. But ultimately that way, you end up eventually at square one...with chipped cacked up forks again....

seee really I am lazy as the next person, I'd rather spend five minutes with a cloth and some autosol after the initial effort, and ACF50 in winter, than have to spend money and do em all over again at some stage

And yessss, shiny shiny, but theres always the reminder of what it used to be, as you can see, I never want a rust bucket again!

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 25-04-10 at 07:54 AM.
Old 25-04-10, 10:29 AM   #5
Owenski

thought about powdercoating them but im cheap
You ride everywhere dont ya dizz, so how often do you need to autosol your forks?
Old 25-04-10, 01:14 PM   #6
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

depends, sometimes I don't bother, but being me during the summer they get done every time its washed. a quick scrub with the autosol and they're gleaming.
During the winter it can be weeks before they are done, but ACF50 wiped on keeps the salt at bay. Although when the first warm weather comes, I do a good rub with wire wool and autosol. Its not hard, if you are waxing your bike, spending another five minutes on your forks isnt going to harm.

Besides, if you are taking care polishing etc, you may notice other little bits that need attending to.

Old 25-04-10, 01:20 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
It is an option to paint Matt
Cool, what colour shall we do him?
I think he'd look funny blue.

I think polishing bits of bikes is a waste of time, especially if you're not going to take care and attention to detail... like when people polish forks it just shows how rusty the end of wheel spindle looks!
Old 25-04-10, 01:26 PM   #8
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

hmmm haha, could I be the first to take a brush to him...lol.

Well my wheel spindles don't look rusty as I do them too. If you are referring to the pic above, thats two years old, a week after you put her back together, I think its gone up six levels of shinyness since!
Its still got the original engine in that pic with the bodge up front cylinder paint.

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 25-04-10 at 01:27 PM.
Old 25-04-10, 01:41 PM   #9
barwel1992

polishing certain things is a waste of time if you ride all year round

when plished, used 120-250-400-600-800-1000-1200-1500 then wire wool then 3 types of polishing wheel

after one ride in winter

as you can guess its started to corrode

header pipes are worth polishing though

Last edited by barwel1992; 25-04-10 at 01:42 PM.
Old 25-04-10, 01:48 PM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

well Barwel I'd argue against your statement, the bike I have for sale has done three winters, and run all year round in all sorts, and its got polished rims. Its only been this winter its been layed up because of preggers burd here. Funny as the other one has polished rims too. And they don't look like that either!

Errrr mine don't look like your second pic, guess you must try harder hun