SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Moto GP Goto Moto GP Official Site

Old 06-03-07, 05:52 PM   #1
Banus

Default Donnington

I've never been to Donnington but thats about to change so........ what I need to know is........where's the best place to stand for the best view ? BTW I'm going on MotoGP weekend to see the Boy Rossi so plenty there. Any advice greatfully received.
Cheers Orgers.........
Old 06-03-07, 06:09 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Donnington

TBH there isnt really a bad place to sit. View is good from any parts of the circuit.

If you sit on the infield by the trade stands on top of the banking by the Spitfire You'll get a good view from Redgate, down through cranner curves, old hairpin and up to Mcleans.

Alternatively if you sit between Mcleans and Coppice, you get to watch them as they come towards you and then last year the Ducatis were power sliding out of Coppice down the straight under the Dunlop bridge which was cool.

Foggy Esses are good to as theres normally lots of drama and overtaking there.

I also like to stand on the exit of Goddards as again theres lots of drama there to.

Be warned on Race day it fills up early and quickly, you want to be in the queue to get it in the circuit before the gates open and pick your spot and make your way there as quickly as possible and then dont move again all day.

If your going on a weekend, do what I do walk round the circuit and spend one Warmup / Qualifying period on each of those spots I've mentioned above. Then on Race day pick the spot you like best from those and then dont move all day.

If you can afford it, The grandstand on the start finish straight gives an extra dimension and you can peek down into pit lane and watch the preparation.

Last year there was a huge screen on the infield by McLeans and also another smaller on on the pitlane entrance that was handy on race day.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 06:17 PM   #3
John 675

Thumbs up Re: Donnington

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
TBH there isnt really a bad place to sit. View is good from any parts of the circuit.

If you sit on the infield by the trade stands on top of the banking by the Spitfire You'll get a good view from Redgate, down through cranner curves, old hairpin and up to Mcleans.

Alternatively if you sit between Mcleans and Coppice, you get to watch them as they come towards you and then last year the Ducatis were power sliding out of Coppice down the straight under the Dunlop bridge which was cool.

Foggy Esses are good to as theres normally lots of drama and overtaking there.

I also like to stand on the exit of Goddards as again theres lots of drama there to.

Be warned on Race day it fills up early and quickly, you want to be in the queue to get it in the circuit before the gates open and pick your spot and make your way there as quickly as possible and then dont move again all day.

If your going on a weekend, do what I do walk round the circuit and spend one Warmup / Qualifying period on each of those spots I've mentioned above. Then on Race day pick the spot you like best from those and then dont move all day.

If you can afford it, The grandstand on the start finish straight gives an extra dimension and you can peek down into pit lane and watch the preparation.

Last year there was a huge screen on the infield by McLeans and also another smaller on on the pitlane entrance that was handy on race day.

HTH
totally agree with the above, donnington is ten mins from me and i do alot of photography there with the bikes perfect place for me and the camera id say is coppice, it has the knee downs and lots o lots of drama and crashes . . . if you like that kind of thing
Old 06-03-07, 06:31 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Oh and be warned theres no shelter to escape the elements also on a crappy day the wind whips across the circuit. So be prepared. No matter the forecast I take Waterproofs and Sun Hat / sun cream with me.

I was sat in 2005 in all my bike waterproofs watching a Rossi wet weather masterclass. I was nice a dry. However there were alot of drenched people there.

Old 06-03-07, 06:39 PM   #5
John 675

Post Re: Donnington

definatly, lol, if you can cram into the underpasses to the infeild if it rains then do but be warned again lol, you will know how sheep feel all stuffed in cattle lorries, i personaly head for the expo center lol
Old 06-03-07, 06:43 PM   #6
Banus

Thanks guys- that's just what I was looking / hoping for - Brilliant ! Now to get his one off to my printer !
Old 06-03-07, 06:50 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylej View Post
you will know how sheep feel all stuffed in cattle lorries, i personaly head for the expo center lol
Yeah but thats like a cattle market as opposed to a cattle lorry