SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 12-06-12, 05:27 PM   #1
charlie34

Default 1st track day booked

Hi everyone, I've booked my first trackday at snetterton next month and just wondered if anyone has any tips?

I know tyre pressures are normally dropped, but by how much and as I've only been riding since oct I'm not sure i'll be pushing hard enough to get the much heat in the tyres?

Also I'm running with an ART can, but not sure if its likely to be too loud.

Any help would much appreciated.

cheers
dan
Old 12-06-12, 05:32 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: 1st track day booked

I didn't bother dropping my tyre pressures for my 1st track day, I spent most of it learning the track and trying to stop making the same mistakes!

Depends who's running your track day, but your ART can should be alright, as the noise limits at Snetterton aren't too bad.

You'll have a great time at Snetterton, although I hope you have a nice sunny day, they're in short supply this year.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-12, 05:53 PM   #3
charlie34

Thats kinda what I was thinking about tyres. Yeah I hope this weather picks up soon.

Is it worth winding another click on the preload front and rear or stick with what i use on the road.

I've on track a few times in cars, so have a bit of an idea, but being new to this bike lark I'm already getting a bit nervous.
Old 12-06-12, 07:36 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie34 View Post
Thats kinda what I was thinking about tyres. Yeah I hope this weather picks up soon.

Is it worth winding another click on the preload front and rear or stick with what i use on the road.

I've on track a few times in cars, so have a bit of an idea, but being new to this bike lark I'm already getting a bit nervous.
Yes, what bike are you riding, SV?

Its alright to be nervous, use this first one to gauge yourself & your bike
Old 12-06-12, 07:40 PM   #5
charlie34

Yeah it's a k3 naked 650.
Old 12-06-12, 07:44 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yep, trouble is the preload on the standard SV forks is pretty basic, but I increased the settings on my GSXR forks on my SV the last track day I did, which improved things no end.

So as a general rule you'd be wise to do that. Plenty of people on here have used their standard SV's on the track and had a great day
Old 12-06-12, 08:42 PM   #7
The Idle Biker

mmmm. General tips? Apologies if too basic.

Get there early so you don't have to rush/ panic getting ready. You can camp at Snet for a fiver if you need to.
Try and sign on and get the noise test done early so you can relax.
Get in a Garage. There are plenty at Sneterton.
Check your brakes and fluid levels. Make sure you have plenty of brake pad left. If in doubt change them.
If you are a worrier like me, check the torque on wheels, forks and brakes.
Snet is a big track, do try and memorise the basic layout before you go.
Usually there will be a Tyre fitter/ seller in the Paddock. Ask him for advice on tyre pressures. It will depend on the conditions.
You will NOT be the slowest, so don't feel under pressure to blitz it. Take your time. Guaranteed there will be people in every group, who'll bin it on the day. Don't let it be you.
If you are struggling on the track then see if you can get an Instructor. If you are going with No Limits, they are great and don't charge.

When you get on the straights, relax, HEAD DOWN, BUM UP AND KEEP IT PINNED!
Old 12-06-12, 08:49 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

To add to the above good advice, let the faster riders pass you in the first lap, this'll free up track in front of you, giving you more time & space to do your stuff.

In the Club MSV track days, they advise you to fold in your mirrors, so you don't keep looking behind you to see who's coming up behind you. I didn't on my first session, but after that I did & it makes a big difference.

Concentrate on whats in front, not whats behind
Old 12-06-12, 09:09 PM   #9
charlie34

cheers guys some good tips there. I'm doing it with focused events, which I believe have instructors too, so I may be bugging them with questions. ha.
Old 12-06-12, 10:40 PM   #10
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

listen carefully @ briefing, simple things like "there are 2 cones on every corner, one for the turn in point, one for the apex" during briefing will help you get to grips with the circuit so much quicker...

Not to sound like kind of a big deal, but on a trackday at cadwell I must have had about 4 or 5 people ask how I was carrying so much corner speed - I mentioned the cones to all of them and they were like "whaaat? What cones?" = watched back video of the sessions and they're all turning in way too early, having to run way slower just to get through the corner.

Little details like that

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote