SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-06-12, 04:57 PM   #1
kickingkh

Default Converting SV from faired to naked?

Hi everyone,

Well i picked up my new (to me) curvy SV 650s on Wednesday, and am over the moon with it. Amazing power, torque and noise.

But, after spending Friday afternoon disconnecting the rubbish alarm, and re-wiring a dicky indicator i decided to take it for a little spin round the lanes. One ditch, a broken collar bone and a fairly battered bike later I am looking for some advice.

The damage to the bike is: Bent RHS fork stanchion, all the front fairings/lights etc are smashed, and RHS foot peg hanger is snapped. My plan is to change the bike from an 'S' faired model, to a standard/streetfighter style bike, as I'm struggling to find decent fairings for sale.

Am I right in thinking that with a naked front subframe bit, and a bit of rewiring that the naked clocks/lights will be a simple fit?

And does anyone have naked gauges/lights/subframe bits that are for sale?

Any advice/suggestions will be very gratefully taken on board.

Regards
Old 19-06-12, 05:09 PM   #2
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Let me introduce myself & my problems!

Other things to consider are the differences in the bars. Clip ons on the faired vs standard bars on the naked. Asa result there are different length brake hoses, throttle cables etc. I think the wiring loom is different at the front between models also, but this can be dealt with fairly easily.

Also consider an USD fork conversion as you are going to replace front end parts anyway.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-12, 05:09 PM   #3
flymo
Mega Poster

and "Hi" by the way
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-12, 05:14 PM   #4
kickingkh

Ah ok interesting point regarding the handlebars. I'll have to see how it ends up working with the clip - ons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
I think the wiring loom is different at the front between models also, but this can be dealt with fairly easily.
Yes I've stripped all the front end plastics off and the wiring loom looks a bit of a mess. It's all in good condition, but it's obviously supposed to hidden behind some nice looking fairings. I think it could all be neatened up to look reasonable though.

Thanks!
Old 19-06-12, 06:02 PM   #5
HoL

Someone, I can't remember who, posted this link a little while ago

http://www.svspares.com/catalogue/47-1_bodywork.htm

You may find some stuff you need there, prices don't look too bad either
Old 19-06-12, 06:12 PM   #6
fenjer

hello and welcome! sorry to hear about the off and the damage, I'm sure that plenty people here will have advice
Old 19-06-12, 06:30 PM   #7
kickingkh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoL View Post
Thanks. Those prices do look pretty decent. But for the amount of bodywork that I need to replace it still might work out cheaper to go for a naked conversion.

Plus, if it were to happen again...
Old 19-06-12, 06:43 PM   #8
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Re: Converting SV from faired to naked?

Hello and welcome to the forum, I hope that your little off has not put you off the bike at all.

As others have said, it might we worth considering this a good time to upgrade the fork, however swapping from S to N does require a fair bit of work and expense. Good luck and enjoy your new project, I know I enjoyed dumping the clip ons and fitting a riser bar to my pointy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-12, 06:50 PM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Are you planning to fit naked SV clocks? If yes, then good luck finding some - they're Hen's teeth secondhand.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-12, 07:39 PM   #10
kickingkh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Are you planning to fit naked SV clocks? If yes, then good luck finding some - they're Hen's teeth secondhand.
Mmm, i've just discovered this. My current clocks aren't damaged, but the rest of the fairings and front end has pretty much had it. Might see if I can get some aftermarket clocks and headlights. It could turn into a bit of a streetfighter job. I was hoping that a lot of the naked stuff would be a straight swap to make my life easier.

I'm not going to be in any position to ride for a few weeks, so I can hopefully get some parts together. I'll take lots of photos and maybe do a build thread if it ends up going well. (If it looks crap then I'll pretend I sold the bike).