SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-05-13, 09:47 PM   #1
Fallout
Mega Poster

Default Sprucing up fairings?

I'm probably going to keep my Gixxer forever, partly because we have a mechophilic relationship and partly because nobody with any common sense would buy it from me. I've slowly been sorting things out, like callipers, braided lines, painting some bits and bobs etc. The main thing I have to do next is get some new discs since mine are so warped TIB has forbidden me to do a track day until I sort them out. Then a new kph2mph converter. i doubt ill ever fix its oil drinking habit. After that I want to work on cosmetics.

I have orange power coated wheels. They're already getting chipped, so thinking of redoing them black but the fairings need attention first as although they're not damaged, they're tired. There is paint peeling near some fairing bolts and in other places and the decals are suffering. I've seen a few sweet looking Gixxer's with black colour colour schemes and racing decals recently

So what are my options? Is a touch up job worth it with new decals, or a full respray? What are the merits of vinyl wrapping? I'd rather do it all DIY as its a hobby bike, so willing to cut my teeth with something new. It gets ridden, so whatever I do it'll need to be fairly hard wearing and the bike will be tracked too.

Hit me with your ideas! What would you do to spruce up tired but not broken fairings?

Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 08:32 AM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sprucing up fairings?

If I had the time I'd go for a vinyl wrap - you can be a bit creative that way or just plain wacky. As these are popular track bikes there are plenty of replacement bits if you find things are more damaged than you think and you could always get a cheapie/thin replacement fairing for track use and faff about with your "prime" fairing off the bike that way without preventing you riding it whilst twiddling with the design.
Old 03-05-13, 09:07 AM   #3
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Spray them. Its a skill worth learning and seeing as this is your hobby bike it will be ideal

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 12:11 PM   #4
stuR

If i was doing a whole bike id be tempted to try a diy 2 pack paint job. Nice finish, better than cans and not too pricey if you have a compressor already. There was a guide in practical sportsbikes...i can email you the doc if you wanted. The gixxer i have is 2 pack paint and looks sweet, altho i think that was done pro
Old 03-05-13, 06:40 PM   #5
Fallout
Mega Poster

What's a 2 pack paint job, aside from a paint job featuring a dead rapper?

I like the idea of learning to spray properly. What kind of kit would I need gav for a good long lasting finish?

As for vinyl wrapping I still don't really understand the merits of it. What does it offer over paint? Is it just done for the finish or does it offer better protection too?
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 06:56 PM   #6
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

2 pack is a 2 part epoxy paint that sets rock hard, its pretty toxic and not nice stuff which i ovoid.

i use cellulose paint with a 2 part lacquer which is good enough but you can get a good finish with standard lacquer and its saves risking death if you can't be bothered to shell out for an air fed respirator.

gear wise the compressor is the expensive part but you get some cheap ones come up on ebay but local freeads (not even sure if they're still going) usually have the cheapest ones. Compressor > regulator with built in moister trap > gravity gun > respirator. It doesn't cost that much to get geared up really plus tinned paints ect work out a hell of a lot cheaper than aerosols, 500ml is more than enough for a bike and depending on how much you mix it down it can go for alot longer, you can respray a bike for 50 quid really and still have enough left over for future repairs.

i can help you get set up if you want, i managed to get jammy doing his lowers although i can't remember if he finished them.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 03-05-13 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-05-13, 07:02 PM   #7
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

vinyl wise I've never really seen the point, my dad does it and did 2 of my friends track bikes but i only see the benefit of it on them in regards to patching up crash damage

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 03-05-13, 08:05 PM   #8
Dabteacake

Just have a play maybe try and see if you can put a newer style gixxer paint job on it
Old 03-05-13, 08:54 PM   #9
The Idle Biker

Fair standard track day standard paint job and stickers for about £250 from a few places. I'm Idle so I'd sooner earn and save and get someone that knows what they're doing to do it. When you add up the cost v time n materials it can be a close judgement call. Great if you do a good job, but imagine the stick you'll get if it's naff.
If you're really at a loss then take Wideboy up on his offer.
Old 03-05-13, 08:58 PM   #10
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

I've not offered this ***** anything!

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis