SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-05-13, 12:51 PM   #11
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Which sat nav?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Edit, but funnily enough I do keep an A5 map book in my panniers, old habits and all that.
Mine lives in the tank bag... On my trip to Norfolk two weeks ago I did the list of road numbers/towns thing and find it works for me. Maps on the phone are useful if you get lost so I have allowed some current tech into my riding.

Have seen so many people blindly following their little talking boxes. I'm convinced some middle-lane-morons on the motorway do so because the straight ahead arrow they're following is in the middle of the screen...
Old 06-05-13, 01:06 PM   #12
Skybaba

Default Which sat nav?

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I have a Zumo 550, a bit long in the tooth now but still works. I know a lot of folk use car satnavs in cases etc, and it can certainly work and be cheaper. Bike specific ones are made for the purpose and just make life a bit easier. Pay your money and take your choice.

A useful Zumo owners forum here

A couple of friends have Zumo 660 and are hapy with them. One has started using this route planner which is Google and you just download the route to your unit, whatever the make. He's very happy with it, seems very easy to use (compared to Mapsource anyway). I intend to give it a try but haven't yet.

There are free convereters around which can change POI databases from one format to another, I've done this with no issues at all.
I got Zumo 350LM last week. I'm hoping it would make my Euro tour more enjoyable.
I haven't had much time with it so struggled to get much use from it from my Wales trip.

Firstly, I didn't have time to wire it into the battery and place the mount on the bike, so I used the car holder (suction) and stuck it on the rev gauge. I left it on for the 3 day trip and only dropped when I had an off.

When I imported the routes I'd planned on Google into Zumo (using Basecamp), the route was split into multiple trips so I couldn't use it. I need to figure this out so would check on the forums.

I ended up using MotionX (an app on the iPhone) to follow the routes I'd planned; the only downside it that it doesn't give turn-by-turn instructions. We were able to download the maps covering the routes because some of the roads we traveled didn't have any 3G service.
Old 06-05-13, 04:20 PM   #13
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: Which sat nav?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Nothing, but most of us move with the times
I miss the guy with the red flag out front