SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-08-20, 06:06 PM   #8451
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

That's just **** driving in my opinion. You don't change lane in any direction without checking your mirror. Certainly don't jump across two lanes to exit without checking.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-20, 10:32 PM   #8452
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
That's just **** driving in my opinion. You don't change lane in any direction without checking your mirror.

Agreed it is. And unfortunately people do it all the time. So many people drive in a daydream.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-20, 07:22 AM   #8453
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
That's just **** driving in my opinion. You don't change lane in any direction without checking your mirror. Certainly don't jump across two lanes to exit without checking.
I have seen some drivers go from fast lane to exit in less than 200 yards, mainly big German cars. Most people on a motorway know what traffic they have passed and think they know that is inside them, some goon speeding up the inside is in a dangerous spot as the blind spot on most vehicles is larger on the nearside of vehicle than the drivers side. but as I said, why not let everyone make up their own rules as they think fit, but good luck at passing your test - and arguing in court that you were in the right ( when you were really in the left ). Even when you are a long off ramp with only a white line between you and main road traffic you are not supposed go past anyone still on the main road on on the 'inside' - which is a dangerous manoeuvre as they have right of way if they want to leave the carriageway. As I said earlier overtaking on inside was sort of tolerated in Australia when we were there - but resulted in some spectacular crashes, we had front seat for one as we were in centre lane of a road that had stopped, the queue had left a gap for vehicles that were turning right from other side of carriageway and I saw this car in LH mirror speeding up the inside of me - he could not see what was happening in RH lanes ahead due to his view being blocked and T boned a car turning right as it crossed his path.... literally 20 feet away from me - it was a big mess.

OK you can blame the vehicle turning right, but two wrongs never made a right, and people ended up in hospital just the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Agreed it is. And unfortunately people do it all the time. So many people drive in a daydream.
Yes there are too many distracted drivers around, and there is a thing called defensive driving ( where you always assume a driver has not seen you ), you are uniquely vulnerable and pretty much invisible to most drivers when you are on a motorbike and should ride accordingly... I have an LED headlight and two 10watt spots on my SV, which should make me uber-visible even in rear view mirrors of vehicles but I still have people pulling out who were in a dream ( or could have been a nightmare for me if I wasn't already slowing down ). All the latest 'driver aids' on many vehicles have made drivers even less aware and alert.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 29-08-20 at 07:31 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-20, 05:15 PM   #8454
shiftin_gear98

Weather in Blighty. Just spent two weeks in Corfu, to come back to shizzle.
Old 30-08-20, 05:02 PM   #8455
daktulos

Sat Navs that take you down un-numbered single-track roads with moss growing in the middle. Not to mention flooded roads - the back half of my bike is brown on an otherwise dry day.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-20, 06:22 PM   #8456
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
I routinely maintain 70 in L1 on motorways and pass more vehicles than I can count. I've done nothing wrong and would argue the point in court, with dashcam or helmet camera footage - and expect to win.

Apparently policing lane discipline means it's easier to pull those who observe it, rather than the thousands who don't. If they understand it themselves

https://youtu.be/wHdTZLMfPJA

Highway Code;

Rule 268
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

OFFENCE
Overtaking on the left is lawful if done in accordance with the above guidance. However, whilst there is no specific offence of overtaking on the left, if a driver undertook another vehicle, other than in the circumstances described above e.g. in the case of someone hogging lane 2 on a motorway, they may be prosecuted for careless driving.

TBH if there is no need to take that risk, i don't. Unless said person has shown complete ignorance to any traffic approaching them from behind and not moving.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-20, 06:34 AM   #8457
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post

TBH if there is no need to take that risk, i don't. Unless said person has shown complete ignorance to any traffic approaching them from behind and not moving.

But that's exactly what it is 95% of the time. Ring road (dual carriageway) around Bristol... always has someone sitting in the offside lane going slower than the nearside and you can sit behind hem the whole way around and they oblivious.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-20, 07:59 AM   #8458
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
But that's exactly what it is 95% of the time. Ring road (dual carriageway) around Bristol... always has someone sitting in the offside lane going slower than the nearside and you can sit behind hem the whole way around and they oblivious.
One thing I heard years ago stuck in my mind..

"Better Mr Jones late than the late Mr Jones" -

never take a risk to go a little bit quicker, because if you overtake you normally pretty soon come up behind someone else going slower than you would like, and so on...........

Never get between a vehicle and an exit either, some people see a sign and dive over to left lane - not everyone sure where they are going.

When approaching a motorway junction if decent amount of traffic around ( did I say the midlands has the busiest motorways in Europe ) I normally get into centre lane till I am past the on-ramp to give vehicles entering the motorway a bit of space, some people may see this as lane hogging and try to sneak past on left ( never a good idea ) but i would be doing 70 and get back into nearside lane after junction if the traffic in there was moving at a decent speed.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 31-08-20 at 10:06 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-20, 11:36 AM   #8459
Bibio
Mega Poster

its not so much the drivers on a motorway its badly designed motorways.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-20, 01:22 PM   #8460
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I thought I'd check my front brake pads, nice quick job. The left hand caliper refuses to come off as the top bolt is seized. This despite being liberally coated in anti seize. Impact driver had no effect, nor release fluid. I then tried a blow lamp and that had no effect either. Being a vfr its complicated by the fact this bolt is connected to the secondary master cylinder. Looks like I'll be grinding this off and fitting new.

https://i.postimg.cc/63VN6S0Y/000000554563-2-big.jpg

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk