SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-07-19, 06:12 AM   #11
Othen

Default Re: Life and warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I spent my entire career fixing things and when I notice something working incorrectly it becomes a nagging irritant that won't go away.

True. I'm also aware that the original part will probably never fail now that I have the ordered its replacement.

... you will probably look at the unused Suzuki parts box on your workshop shelf in a decade’s time (having sold your SV a few years before) and think to yourself... ‘better put that on eBay’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 25-07-19, 06:40 AM   #12
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... you will probably look at the unused Suzuki parts box on your workshop shelf in a decade’s time (having sold your SV a few years before) and think to yourself... ‘better put that on eBay’

...along with my Street Triple dog bone and side plates, my PAW19D model aircraft engine, my OS Cougar 27Mhz AM 4 channel radio control. I even found some Splitfire spark plugs in the shed - remember those?

I may be a hoarder.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-19, 06:57 AM   #13
Othen

Default Life and warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
...along with my Street Triple dog bone and side plates, my PAW19D model aircraft engine, my OS Cougar 27Mhz AM 4 channel radio control. I even found some Splitfire spark plugs in the shed - remember those?

I may be a hoarder.

No, we are all the same. Never throw things away until you are absolutely certain they will be of no use for anything (so, never then)... I’m still looking for a use for that Saab NG900 information display.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Othen; 25-07-19 at 07:00 AM.
Old 25-07-19, 01:05 PM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

On my AL7 I sometimes leave it in gear and have noticed that if I go to the bike and insert and turn the key the display remains blank and it does not go through its normal start up routine and noises until you put it into neutral and then everything appears on display and fuel pump starts etc. The question earlier in this thread by talking heads about the neutral light being separate from gear indicator is a good one because I think it is.... and I suspect that the neutral light switch is the interlock not the gear position sensor, you can always pull clutch in anyway, which is what I tend to do to reduce gearbox drag while starting engine...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 25-07-19 at 01:10 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-19, 01:45 PM   #15
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
The question earlier in this thread by talking heads about the neutral light being separate from gear indicator is a good one because I think it is....
I checked the workshop manual again (oh ye of little faith). On the "Schematic and Routing Diagram" page 1A-6 it shows the ECM pin T1 connecting to the GP sensor and then to the neutral light. This diagram shows signal flow rather than actual wiring, but there is no neutral switch shown.

So I rechecked the wiring diagram page 9A5 and 9A6 and there is no neutral switch depicted, only the GP sensor.

A faulty GP sensor will (should) generate a C31 (PO914) error code, if you go to the troubleshooting page for that error it shows the GP sensor connected to the ECM; B/W wire to T13, P wire to T1, Bl wire to T26 and to the neutral light via a diode. The GP sensor is shown as a 7 position rotary switch, again no neutral switch is shown.

This is the Suzuki service manual for the US model (99500-36240-03E) but I would think that that aspect would be common to all markets.
Old 25-07-19, 05:51 PM   #16
SV650rules
Mega Poster

What I hate about all this nanny state interconnected interlocked stuff is that if the gear position indicator sensor fails the bike will not 'boot up' and dash display will not appear. If the sensor works in other gears reliably all the time and clearly knows when it is in neutral it may be that the sensor is OK and the thing that is activating the sensor that is either slightly too far away ( at edge of range ) in lower gears. Is the sensor operated by noggins on the gear selector drum do you know? It may be an inductive sensor and maybe there is some metallic contamination down bottom end of drum falsely triggering sensor .

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 25-07-19 at 06:00 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-19, 06:13 PM   #17
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
if the gear position indicator sensor fails the bike will not 'boot up' and dash display will not appear

...this is the weird thing, I only skimmed the troubleshooting guide but if a GP sensor fault is produced the bike will assume it's in 6th and continue to start and run but it didn't mention whether, in this condition, you would now have to start pulling the clutch lever to start. I don't know what would happen if it failed without generating an error code - you might then be paddle-less up that particular well known creek.

In answer to your other question, the sensor has a pin which mates with a hole in the gearbox selector.