SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-02-06, 05:21 PM   #1
***Steve***

Default SV650 Warranties

When you see bikes for sale and it states that it has XX Months/Years warranty remaining what does that warranty cover?

Is it for servicing? breakdowns? failures? reassuring chats? captive breeding programs with GSXR's?
Old 15-02-06, 05:41 PM   #2
Carsick

It covers non consumable items which fail due to manufacturing issues. It should cover the full cost to fix that item.
Old 15-02-06, 05:44 PM   #3
andyaikido

Default Re: SV650 Warrantys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Steve***
When you see bikes for sale and it states that it has XX Months/Years warranty remaining what does that warranty cover?

Is it for servicing?

Nope.

breakdowns?

If you're lucky.

failures?

Possibly.

reassuring chats?

Highly unlikely with Suzukis rep for customer service.

captive breeding programs with GSXR's?

Is this not how we got the SV650R?
Old 15-02-06, 06:02 PM   #4
***Steve***

Thanks Guys, sounds like they're not worth a great deal (at least in financial terms when buying second hand)

Also would anyone touch a Cat C repaired bike for your first bike?
Old 15-02-06, 11:07 PM   #5
Dal

Steve, Just to add a bit more detail.

The warranty should cover you for both parts and labour on a failure, they don' always cover for investigation into problems and will have exclusions and terms (eg bike must be serviced in accordance to the manufacturers recommendations)

They can be a wise investment but you do need to check the small print.

The other thing to be aware of (I think) bike dealers are now governed by the FSA (Financial Services Authority) which govern the sale of insurance products and if you are miss sold a policy you can appeal and be compensated.

As far as insurance loss bikes are concerned I guess it depends on several factors,

What the damage was

How well it's been repaired

how much it is

and how long you intend to keep it.

I'm considering this option for a couple of reasons,

Cheaper to buy

As a new rider (returning rider) I'm at the very least likely to drop it, if not worse

I don't like the current / recent colour range on the recent pointys (Except the bronze) the I could colour change it to whatever I fancy.

Although I'm sure there as many arguments for as there are against but it is another option.