SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-09-12, 08:03 PM   #1
dirtyred619

Default HG Tail Tidy on Pointy.

Managed to pick up a Hein Gericke tail tidy and number plate light for the princely sum of £16.40 for both of them the other day, mainly for the number plate light as mine was a bit of bodged job but the tail tidy seemed a little flimsy too.

I got round to fitting it tonight and when I removed the old 'tail tidy' I discovered that it too was a bodged job from a previous owner so just aswell I've changed it.

The Hein Gericke tail tidy, for what it's worth, seems well made and sturdy but I suppose that's by the by as I doubt they'll be available for much longer, at least in the guise of Hein Gericke.

Anyway here's the old tail tidy removed, an early prototype for Oxford or R & G do you think??!

Old 19-09-12, 09:59 PM   #2
dirtyred619

Default Re: HG Tail Tidy

Well I've realised tonight why there's so many holes on the old "tail tidy". I fitted this new one a week or so ago, number plate, light, indicators etc where all lined up and centred and i thought all was well. I haven't had chance to get out on the bike until tonight and when I've had a good look everything is about an inch over to the left. This is because I fitted it using the holes already drilled in the under tray thinking they where in line and would be ok to use.

So my problem now is I need to drill 2 new holes over to the right to bring everything into line but with the size of the hole and their closeness I'll be left with 2 big figure 8 shaped holes that are too wide for the bolts.

Any ideas short of buying a new under tray? Would I get away with drilling the holes then using a washer or a square of metal with 2 holes in under the heads of the bolts on top of the under tray to help everything grip or has anyone a simpler or more ingenious solution?

Ta