SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-09-08, 12:35 PM   #1
ScatmanJack

Default V Strom Handling Issues

Hi,

I recently bought a 04 V Strom 1000cc which had a Givi top box fitted and also the side rack for panniers. It had an MRA screen, set at middle position and also Givi crash bars fitted. Also had new Metzeler tyres fitted.

I had no handling issues what-so-ever, just with the top box even up to speeds of 120mph. (200kph)

However I was heading over to France for a week, with a friend on his GS, so fitted 2 x Monokey 36ltr panniers, (which I already had from my VFR/FJR days)

The panniers were not overloaded, as I was traveling 1up. Lightweight Bike Jacket and trousers in one, and a pannier liner with jeans, t-shirts, jocks n socks an shoes in the other. Top box was not jammed either.

I noticed that at over 160k / 100mph, it started to weave/wobble a bit so decided to keep speeds under 150k, 90mph to be on the safe side, as we were not in a particular hurry and did'nt have any specific destination to get to.

However on the Autoroute near Avranches 130k from Cherbourg, travelling at 140/150k, the bike developed a wobble, that progressivly got worse. I tried accelerating a little which did'nt help, then backed off and tried to control it as best I could.

Wobble developed into a tank slapper that eventually spat me off at about 100/120k (60/70mph)
I bounced down the motorway and ended up on the hard shoulder on RHS, and the bike pirouetted for abour 50mtrs and ended up against the central barrier. I know I was lucky, Very Lucky !! it could have been a lot worse.

The police said that we had just come over a brow (the Autoroute went over a river) and that I may have been caught by a crosswind, but the weather was dry and did'nt appear windy. I had just passed a few cars and trucks, but apart from normal buffeting from trucks, had'nt noticed anything out of the ordinary.

I chipped two fingers on my left hand and also cracked two ribs, so had a four day stay in hospital and also pins fitted to both fingers.

Right front fork leg is bent (probably from central barrier) bar end on rhs is bent, screen and rhs of fairing is scuffed, but the crash bars and right hand pannier prevented any further dammage.

My Question is this?..........

Has anyone on this forum had any experience of this type of handling problems with Panniers fitted.

Givi is one to the top manafacturers of panniers for this bike and I have been unable to find any other posts on this subject.

This incident only happened 3 weeks ago so I am still waiting for Carol Nashe to get the bike returned to Ireland.
The bike was taken to a main Suzuki dealer in St Lo, for an "estimate", however I think they were asked by Europe Assist, to do an engineers report to determine the condition of the bike prior to the accident.

I would imagine the bike is repairable, but will have to wait to see if the frame is dammaged when checked by the Suzuki dealer here.

I have since spoken to the previous owner, who confirmed that the bike had NOT been down the road previously, however he had only used it wth the top box fitted.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your replies and advise.

ScatmanJack.
Old 30-09-08, 01:04 PM   #2
arenalife

Default Re: V Strom Handling Issues

Three figure speeds with aftermarket luggage fitted isn't recommended by the bike and luggage manufacturers usually, even a Pan-Europeans manual states not to exceed 80mph with everything loaded, and that's factory stuff! My Deauville 700 would weave at 110 with the GIVI top box on. Your setup was sounds like it caused an unstable combination, I've never heard anything that said a certain pannier or box caused a problem, it's usually combinations.
Old 30-09-08, 01:35 PM   #3
ScatmanJack

Previously, I had a VFR 800 and an FJR 1300 with the same Givi setup, and never had any issues, even up to 120 /130 mph.
Old 30-09-08, 02:07 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Tyres, suspension and the rest in good condition?
Old 30-09-08, 03:59 PM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Keep it simple: Did you up the rear preload when you fitted the luggage, you are adding more weight to the rear which will lighten the front.
Old 30-09-08, 04:02 PM   #6
ScatmanJack

Yeah, Tyres were new Metzelers and pressures were correct.
Rear shock was wound up full, and front forks appeared fine.
Old 30-09-08, 04:21 PM   #7
ThEGr33k

Maybe you adjusted the rear too hard. This sort of thing is usually down to suspension setup along with tyre's.

I used to get the bike feeling skitty when I first got it. I had to lower the front and soften it, then firm up the back a little (make sure you still have approx 30mm of sag though, no sag will also cause issues!!!!). Dont know if this will work with your situation but it would be a good place to start. If too much weight is transfered to the back it will make the front too light and obviously it will get funky.

Glad you are reletivly ok there!
Old 30-09-08, 04:40 PM   #8
ScatmanJack

When the bike arrives back, I will get both front and rear checked, and keep you posted.

Thanks for all your input so far. )
Old 30-09-08, 04:48 PM   #9
Steve_God
Mega Poster

I've not experienced anything quite that bad when I've used my dads V-Strom (the 650), but I have experienced similar...

It was never anything that came on rapidly, suddenly, or due to speed (as I've managed a touch under 125mph on it with no issues) however if I took my hands off the bars completely, they would get into a small wobble that did start to progressively get worse, and I always but my hands back on them before it started being dangerous.

I put it down to the weight distribution, as depending on how I'd packed, it would be better and worse some days when I tried it than others (I was quite curious so toyed around with it...)

It's possible that if you were VERY heavily overloaded on one side, then that could have possibly caused it to become unstable.
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-08, 06:33 PM   #10
ScatmanJack

Panniers were fairly evenly loaded but had no issues at 80/90mph previously, only if I pushed it over 100mph.

The bike had been fully serviced prior to the trip, all levers regreased and bearings checked.

Has anyone fitted a steering damper to these bikes, and do you think it would have helped prevent the problems I had.

I have seen fork braces fitted on different forums, but not sure what benefit these have either.

All suggestions are most welcome.