SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-01-08, 11:25 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default I drink and drive...!

Thought I'd pose the question! Do you drink and drive? Or do you abstain completely? It's a just question rather than an invitation for the "I know better" brigade to tell us all what we should be doing. Do you feel that you are able to and should be driving (you know yourself) after two pints?

I'll have the one. Limit is two pints, but I drink stronger imported beers so I won't have more than one immediately before driving, 'cos two would might well tip you over. I'll have two if it's lunchtime and I'm not going to drive until 4-5 hours later.

I have a wee electronic breathalyser which is supposed to illuminate LED's at 20 (yellow), then 50 (red), the limit is 80 (whatever the units are), for use if I need to drive the morning after a heavy night. I'll also use it if I've had two pints at lunchtime and need to drive come dinner time just for piece of mind. I won't drive if its on red even if I think it's only just tipped over the 50, I drive for work, live in the middle of knowwhere and love my motorbike, so loosing my license would be a seriously big bummer! And of course nobody wants to cause an accident. You'd be surprised how easy it is to trip red the morning after especially if you were drinking from the afternoon into the wee hours.

I did the circle line tour recently for a stag do, and went to a couple of late opening bars afterwards. Over the course of the 12-14 hours drank 34 pub measure rum and coke and 7 sambuca shots (yes we were keeping scores!!), couldn't be described as sober, but was certainly lucid, had a sensible converstion with my wife and directed the taxi driver from Embankment back to Redhill (nr Gatwick). I don't usually get ****ed easily unless very tired or mixing drinks, so usually yes, I feel able to drive after two pints, just won't do it for legal reasons. But there are times after 4 pints or so that I've played games on the playstation and had to concentrate so much harder on what I'm doing, I don't do as well as usual and soon give up. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

So what about everyone else?

Last edited by -Ralph-; 07-01-08 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-01-08, 11:28 PM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: I drink and drive...!

Might have a pint if driving the car, over an evening.

Never have anything more than a shandy if riding.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 11:33 PM   #3
Sean_C

I wondered what the legal position was if I got pulled over and breathalised and found to be under the limit. Bearing in mind I'm not 18 yet
Never have had a drink and then driven. Drinking one pint ain't worth it, so I don't bother.
Old 07-01-08, 11:39 PM   #4
chris8886
Mega Poster

i will never drink just before driving! if i go out and am the driver i might have one when i get there at say 9pm and nothing again even if i'm not going to be leaving until the early hours of the morning. if i'm leaving any earlier i won't have anything at all. on the bike i'll drink nothing, no matter when i'm leaving!!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 11:48 PM   #5
metalmonkey

Myself if I'm driving I may have a beer if I'm in the mood, since I got the bike never had a drink then got on the bike so not worth binning ur bike over.

Grr, the drink limit isn't 2 pints!!!!!! Its not, don't fooled plz....

Its 35mg. What that means is it is different for everyone, okay we absord beer ect at different rates depedns if u have eaten your mood ur weight ect.
For me I would though its very little that puts me over.

The last person who told, me they just a drink, I had to pull the people from the wreck 2 in hospital, one arrested. Please don't make it you I pull from a weccage. I saw the car crash at about 50mph, into a tree, I though it was gonna mess, luckly it wasn't. Sorry to rant, but if it saves what I saw then worth while.
Old 07-01-08, 11:59 PM   #6
Paws

nope, never
Old 08-01-08, 01:02 AM   #7
Lozzo

I gave up drinking while driving after I smashed myself up on my then girlfriend's bike when drunk aged 19. It basically destroyed my life as well as my legs.
Old 08-01-08, 01:06 AM   #8
Jester666

May have 2 pints of weak lager but generally no.

I have, in the past, done it on a few occasions after far too many Kronys/Stellas but no more.

I got away with it then but I am no longer prepared to take what is a stupid, selfish and pointless risk.
Old 08-01-08, 01:18 AM   #9
Pedrosa

Here in Spain the level of drink driving that goes on is literally criminal. especially when you come from a country such as the UK where education on the subject has been available for many years.

The limit here is just 25mg. Lower than the UK. But for me it is not a problem as, if I am going to drive or ride a bike I would NEVER take alcohol.

They also presently have a campaign of stop checks to clamp down on drug taking as well. No surprise when shockingly Spain is the highest consumer of cocaine behind the U.S. A dreadfully damning statistic.
Old 08-01-08, 01:42 AM   #10
phizog

I'll have 1 light beer if I know I won't be riding for 2-3 hours (ie back down to 0% alcohol). I'm not on a full license yet so I'm restricted to 0%. Even when I have my fulls, I wont have more than a light, and I'll wait 1.5 hours before riding.

When driving.. when I get my fulls, I'd have a beer every 2-3 hours (ie just social drinking).