SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 16-12-08, 09:50 PM   #1
newts924

Red face Track Day Questions

Been thinking about doing a track day for a while now with a mate of mine but i am unsure on what is needed for a novice trackday.

Will the tyres i have on at the moment be ok as i dont want to splash out on race tyres for my first time. The tyres i have on at the moment are just the standard ones that came with the bike. Dunlops i think

On the track website it says a noise level of 102 dhp or something like that would i be ok to turn up without doing any mods to mine. All i have is a ccc end can with the baffel in place.

I would be riding the bike to and from the event, is this a good idea or would i be better hiring a van to get the bike there and back?

Insurance !!! Any companies that do track day? If so which is the best one and roughly how much??

The event i have seen is a novice only day on the 6th Feb @ Oulton Park and cost £59. Is this circuit any good for a first track day or have i set my limits to high?

Sorry for all the question and if i sound like i don't have a clue that's because i don't .

I look forward to your help and knowledge and that you can help me lose my track virginity
Old 16-12-08, 10:10 PM   #2
chris8886
Mega Poster

Default Re: Track Day Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by newts924 View Post
Been thinking about doing a track day for a while now with a mate of mine but i am unsure on what is needed for a novice trackday.

make sure you have a good quality helmet, at least zip together 2 piece leathers, decent boots and decent leather gloves. plenty of food and water all day to keep you fresh. don't go trying to get your knee down like a loon (unless you can do it anyway) and go and ask the intructor(s) on the day if they'll go out on track with you for a session or 2 (usually free with the money you've already paid).

Will the tyres i have on at the moment be ok as i dont want to splash out on race tyres for my first time. The tyres i have on at the moment are just the standard ones that came with the bike. Dunlops i think

i would say these would be fine for your first track day as long as your not someone who's a knee down loon on the road.

On the track website it says a noise level of 102 dhp or something like that would i be ok to turn up without doing any mods to mine. All i have is a ccc end can with the baffel in place.

i would doubt that this can will be above 102bd, but i'm sure you can find a baffle from somewhere (i might even have a spare one from my previous ccc exhaust, i'll have a look for you). my fuel can is only about 98-99db with no baffle.

I would be riding the bike to and from the event, is this a good idea or would i be better hiring a van to get the bike there and back?

not necessarily, just make sure you don't fall off, but if you do make sure you have breakdown cover so that you can push your bike away from the track and say you 'crashed on the road' (lol).

Insurance !!! Any companies that do track day? If so which is the best one and roughly how much??

not worth it from what i've seen. costs waaaay more than the day and only lasts for one day (i think) and if you don't fall off it's a waist of money. best thing to try not to fall off (see a pattern here? lol).

The event i have seen is a novice only day on the 6th Feb @ Oulton Park and cost £59. Is this circuit any good for a first track day or have i set my limits to high?

i've not been here before, but any novice only day i would say is probably good and better than a normal day as you should be able to guarentee that no idiots will be there, who should be in a higher group.

Sorry for all the question and if i sound like i don't have a clue that's because i don't .

I look forward to your help and knowledge and that you can help me lose my track virginity
i'm sure i've missed something though and i'm only going on my own experience. i'm sure others will help you.
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-08, 11:19 PM   #3
Lozzo

Any track is fine for a novice, as long as you keep your wits about you and don't push it any firther than you feel comfortable with.

Oulton is an excellent circuit with a great banked hairpin, nice variety of bends and a couple of decent left handers as well. I love the place.

My CBR has a full race Akrapovic exhaust with no baffle, not just and end can but the full system. At Oulton it measures 97dB, which is 1dB less than my daughters brand new GSXR600 K8 with standard exhaust. Your end can with a legal baffle will be fine.

Last edited by Lozzo; 16-12-08 at 11:21 PM.
Old 17-12-08, 06:57 AM   #4
mister c
Mega Poster

All I will say is "DO IT".
It doesnt matter if you are fast, or slow, as long as you enjoy yourself. You aren't going to break any records, just take your time, learn the circuit & have fun
Oulton Park is my favourite circuit, it has everything you want from a circuit, like Lozzo says.
You can get instruction on the day which is normally free of charge, or you can just go out on your own.
Sound wise, the SV with a can on should be fine. 98db on a Saturday or 105db during the week. Tyres should be ok - it's going to be cold, so like I say, you wont be breaking records. The instructors recommend letting a little pressure out (Have a word with the tyre speciallist there) to get some heat into them.
I must admit that I wouldn't use my road bike for a track day, but I use mine every day. I would hire a van (you never know) at least if you do dump it, god forbid, at least you can drive home.
Get there early as well, so you can get a garage, it comes in handy to stay dry etc. Take the kettle because you can make a brew (Free electric if you get the garage) & keep warm

Most of all..... Enjoy yourself
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-08, 09:31 AM   #5
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
Take the kettle because you can make a brew (Free electric if you get the garage) & keep warm

Most of all..... Enjoy yourself

No Limits provide free coffee and tea all day long, as much as you can stand to drink.
Old 17-12-08, 10:33 AM   #6
minifun

Just get out there and do it! lol Its the best thing I ever did and I now own a track bike!

Its helped me improve my cornering and I also find I relax more on the track as I'm not so nervous about people pulling out on me or finding a tractor round a corner! Go for it and enjoy it! lol
Old 17-12-08, 11:48 AM   #7
phuk72

Best thing you can do is go out there and enjoy it. Don't be tempted to listen to anyone's crap about lowering tyre pressures, changing suspension settings etc - it's all unneccessary for the first outing. You will feel most confident on your bike with the settings you ride with day in day out.

Even OEM tyres are up to some track abuse and will give you more grip than you need. Just make sure the bike is roadworthy and has decent tyres and brakes. If you really must tinker, sort out your suspension sag.

Start slowly and build up the pace - and don't be afraid to ask an instructor to help you.
Old 17-12-08, 12:21 PM   #8
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuk72 View Post
Best thing you can do is go out there and enjoy it. Don't be tempted to listen to anyone's crap about lowering tyre pressures, changing suspension settings etc - it's all unneccessary for the first outing. You will feel most confident on your bike with the settings you ride with day in day out.
You will soon find you're running higher tyre pressures than needed within a short space of time. Track tarmac is much grippier and sends tyre temperatures higher much quicker for the same road speed. Lowering them by 3 to 4 psi to start off with will help the tyres grip better as you start to explore the bike's capabilities.

It's one of the things covered in the pre-track briefings at all trackdays I've attended. Even novices should lower their tyre pressures unless they only intend to bimble round at 60mph maximum, in which case a trackday is not for them really.
Old 17-12-08, 12:29 PM   #9
phuk72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Even novices should lower their tyre pressures unless they only intend to bimble round at 60mph maximum, in which case a trackday is not for them really.
In February? On your first track day? I'm sorry but that really is poor advice.
Old 17-12-08, 01:13 PM   #10
thor

Its not life and death, you can go out for a few laps to get them warm and then come in and change the pressure up or down if required.

To be honest, even if you did bin it, I'm sure that the organisers and or people there would be able to give you a lift somewhere. Even if you paid a recovery van to take it home, it's still probably less than trackday insurance.

If you plan to ride there and home then make sure you anticipate a long day, so get plenty of sleep and try to relax off the bike. Avoid going mental on red bull and sweets!

When you ride home take it easy because you will be used to ragging it by that point.

Most importantly, just relax. You're there to have fun. Do it! £59 is a cheap way to get started.