SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-08-06, 03:08 PM   #51
BillyC
Mega Poster

I think the point is that getting fuel should be as simple as stop, fill, pay, go. It has been that way for ever.

Okay, it's not the end of the world if you have to take your lid off, but there is a sense of the unnecessary about taking both gloves off, unbuckling your lid, taking it off, if it's winter removing the balaclava - then paying - then replacing your balaclava which is now cold, neatly enough so you can see. Replacing the lid, getting it comfy, buckling it up, then putting your gloves back on.

If you were to do that while standing in the queue, then you'd **** a few people off!

Normally one glove is all that gets removed... that's enough to handle keys, wallets, cards and pens sufficiently to pay.

As for Pay-at-pump solutions... I'm yet to find somewhere that has enabled this. Everywhere i've been that has the facility, it's closed off, and you have to pay in the kiosk. Probably scared of card fraud - but surely, as we've been led to believe, entering our PIN should cover that.
Old 25-08-06, 03:11 PM   #52
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
As for Pay-at-pump solutions... I'm yet to find somewhere that has enabled this. Everywhere i've been that has the facility, it's closed off, and you have to pay in the kiosk. Probably scared of card fraud - but surely, as we've been led to believe, entering our PIN should cover that.
Until recently, at both Adsa & Tesco (at least around here), you could insert your card, wait, take the card, fill up, and go. No PIN required This has now changed so you do need to enter a PIN.

Maybe they're closed because of the upgrade? 'Early' models didn't even have the keypad, so the engineers would have to come out & physically upgrade them.
Old 25-08-06, 04:25 PM   #53
Davido

Funnily enough, every petrol station I've been to are fine with balaclavas. And I've only ever been asked to remove my lid once (Didn't take it off the first week I had my bike because it was raining).

But now petrol stations near me recognise me as a customer not likely to do a runner so they are happy to let me keep my lid on if I wanted to. Specially Raj at my local texaco. He's a bit of a legend.
Old 25-08-06, 07:53 PM   #54
andyaikido

Vote with your feet (or wheels). I too like the convienience of ASDA's card only pumps. Tesco (for all it's evil monopolising and appalling treatment of it's suppliers) is incredibly good at making money. If enough people go elsewhere they'll change their policy.
Old 25-08-06, 10:18 PM   #55
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
Ive never had a problem with my local Tescos/Sainsburys/Morrisons, mabey because my bike is sooo recognisable they always remember me. But if they did not turn the pump on, i would prolly pull all the fillers onto the fourcourt as a protest.
I've actually done this on the one & only time I had a problem. The guy started the pump, I got about 3 quid in and then he stopped it. I went in the shop and he said "you must remove your helmet".

There was an exchange of words, and he said "I'm on my own and I can't leave the counter" (I can't remember why...) So I put the money down on the floor in the shop, went outside and pulled all the fillers out, laying them gently on the forecourt. Got on the bike and rode off. Obviously I have never used the place since, and nothing ever become of it.

I don't consider it rude at all, but then I can only see one side of it.

Old 25-08-06, 10:53 PM   #56
ArtyLady

The world is going mad - there was that little old lady asked to remove her hat in a pub

Then all young lads are told to remove their peak caps in our local shop (why? do they think they are going to spontaneously combust ) but they never asked me to remove my bush hat (yes you know them hats from the 70's haha) and sunglasses all through the hot period

If I was of a religion that required me to cover my face would they ask me to remove it?

Ive never removed my crash helmet when paying for petrol - only once was I asked and I said why what do you think Im gonna do - Im on a bike and paying for my petrol isnt it obvious - she left me alone.

They all need calm down and use a bit of common sense - stop stereotyping people and picking on them. A couple of young lads with peak caps outside our house tonight walking quietly along minding their own business - 2 police cars pull up, search them, blatant harrasment IMO -
Old 26-08-06, 08:47 PM   #57
jebus

not had this problem as not had me bike on the road yet, but i have tried to fiddle me lid off with golves and thats not gonna happen and i am not going to get into my pooch, take out a card/cash hand it over yada a yada etc etc etc but i will use a card if i can as i wont fill up 5 or 10 quid just fill it up till me tank to the level i want and pay by card if i can.

On the scottish note thing i can say from both sides england its pretty rare really to see them but up here in aberdeenshire you dont often see english notes, ok i see em at work a lot but still, and a lot of scotlish money looks like play money no were near as many things to stop them getting made by the crooks, so its perfectly reasonable for people right down south not to really want to accept the money but its going to be annoying.

I do remember that once at work a guy kicked up a fuss when getting a refund, he wanted to get english notes and not scotish ones.
Old 26-08-06, 09:44 PM   #58
Well Oiled

I always take my lid off - Whether it's a security thing or not I see it as just plain ignorant to try to talk to an attendant through a full face helmet. I wouldn't like it if I was in their position, so why not take a few seconds to remove my lid?. Usually I take my lid off as I'm walking from the pump to the shop or queuing up, so it's not wasting time, and I'm not getting my head wet while filling up. I've never had anyone stop pump because I'm wearing my helmet while filling up - that is a bit OTT.

I don't wear glasses so fair enough, that's a bit more time, but only a few seconds
surely?

Cheers Keith
Old 26-08-06, 10:35 PM   #59
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

I feel it is obligatory to remove my helmet...

because as many people as possible should be exposed to my beauty !!!

Put yourself in the cashiers position- its been discussed prior-- but petrol stations are big areas of hold ups etc.. its scarey as hell to have a helmeted person approach you..! I think it is the decent thing to do..
unless you are scoobs leave it on- oh cant tell the diff when it's off.!
Old 26-08-06, 11:24 PM   #60
21QUEST
Mega Poster

There will always be peeps who anything would be too much of an inconvenience. I think maybe all petrol staions should have signs at the pumps. That way peeps can always ride off before getting off the bike.

I wear a flip-up helment now so normally not a problem. I did have a problem once with an old dear(bless her). I took it off but explain that one reason why I got a flip-up was to stop me having to take my helmet off in most places ,blah , blah. Next time she told me not to bother.

Saying that , if I were a cashier at a petrol station anyone being a pain is likely to find themselves having to spend more time than they probably wanted to.

The reason won't be because I felt they were either that interesting or important I may add. I would at all times be very polite of course

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote