SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 12-03-10, 01:07 PM   #1
boredus

Default My K3 SV650s

Here are a few pics of my SV650. We very much have a love hate relationship. This is due to the SV being a last resort for me after a rather drastic change in finances late 2008. I decided I could not afford my MV Agusta Brutale 750 any more and that the SV650 was a good budget bike for me to continue biking rather than giving up for a while. I never got on with the SV, because I could not accept it for what it is and this is my own fault. My brother had an SV1000 and this was the main reason I bought the 650 as I liked the styling but not the heavyness and vibration of the thou.

I usually do around 6-7K miles a year, in the 9 moths up till Nov09 we had done 800 miles total and that included a 300mile round trip in France. So as you can guess, I was just not drawn to riding on the sv as I have been by my other bikes. Aside from the dreaded F1 error on full throttle issue the first month I had the bike I have had no issues with it. Once I found a thread on the SVrider forum about setting the throttle body sensors the bike was healthy again and this time putting out a lot more oomph!

In Nov09 I started commuting a 14mile round trip and for the first time, I used the SV properly and slowly fell in love with it. In a year of ownership the only thing the bike got was 1 wash and a second hand titanium blue flame can........ it has take a year, but I think I will get on with it this year just fine

There is also a pic of my Brute too, I used to go in to the garage an just look at it when I was feeling down!!

Last edited by boredus; 12-03-10 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-03-10, 01:17 PM   #2
boredus

Default Re: My K3 SV650s

When I buy a new bike it usually in bits within the hour of being home just checking that all is well under the fairings etc, last week was the first time I so much as thought about looking at the 650. I got to thinking that after having many a 2 stroke 250 in the last 5 years, the thing that makes them fun to ride is not loads of power, but power to weight and handling. The SV, to me, has none of these. I find the thing top heavy and boring and I am no track day hero, never been on one actually.

So I got to removing the PAIR system, I do like the popping through the can but hey, it weighs a few grams!
Then I got a resistor sorted to to the TRE mod. Stripped the rear subframe down to cut some bits off and respray it as it needed spraying anyway. By removing a few bits, the mini indicators and PAIR system there is 1KG saved...... OMG this is going to take some doing withought splashing lots of cash on a full M4 system and GSXR wheels. Here is a few pics of the process.

Remove marked brackets and removed a few rough edges etc, then smoothed them out a bit.

Also did a bit of drilling and filling on the rear caliper bracket, big heavy thing that.

Last edited by boredus; 12-03-10 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-03-10, 01:26 PM   #3
boredus

Will look at hagon front fork springs/ heavier oil as the blimmin front end dives when you roll off the throttle on roundabouts etc and a light wavy disc for the rear. There is also a knocking on the front forks when I hit a bump in the road, checked headstock and that all seems fine so looks like it may be the fork bushes. so will do them while the springs and oil are getting done.
Old 12-03-10, 04:28 PM   #4
SUPERSTARDJ01

The MV is lovelly, how is it to ride?
Old 12-03-10, 06:24 PM   #5
boredus

There are a few niggles with them as standard, mainly the ****ty fueling that makes the throttle feel like an on/off switch. Once I had the arrow stubby/remaped chip and high flow air filter fitted it was great. Very thirsty with the reserve coming on at 90 miles and that meant 17.5 litres of the 20 were gone! Now imagine that on the 1000mile round trip I did on it to Assen mid 08 - wind blast anyone.
I would also like to point out that the SV seat is like a sofa compared to the Brutale!
Old 15-03-10, 06:11 PM   #6
boredus

Got the bike back together this weekend for a run to newlands corner and boxhill. Fitted Chewies PAIR removal kit and put a resistor on the GPS line for the TRE mod. Once I fitted it all up the bike would not start. I paniced and removed the resistor and put it back to normal before I remembered to put the bike in dealer mode. That showed a TOS error....... I had put the tip over sensor back in upside down! oops. After that little hitch the bike was fine and the ride yesterday was great. Now I need some cash to sort the front brakes and and forks out.
Slightly modified subframe - pity I have to keet the foot pegs and seat bits for the Mrs.

Chewies blanking plates and solenoid resister all in place.

The kit does not come with a plate to cover the hole left by removing the solenoid so I cut a piece off an old air box and used silicone to seal it.

and that is it for now I guess. Got a lot on the wishlist but sorting the forks will come first I reckon. Hoping to get it dyno'd in the next couple of weeks to get a starting reference for next winter.
Old 15-03-10, 06:45 PM   #7
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

What can is that you have on the Brutale ?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-10, 08:19 PM   #8
boredus

That was an Arrow Thunder with link pipe to remove cat. I never fitted the stickers cause I thought it would look a bit tacky.