SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-10-17, 12:56 PM   #21
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sprocket change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

the reason i went to a 16t on the front was to stop changing to the imaginary 7th gear, while it worked the bike was also harder work to ride.
I know the gear indicator on the L7 display has had a lot of flack from die-hard 7th gear seekers LOL but trust me it is a very useful bit of kit, and like some other things, after using it for a short while you wonder why all bikes don't have it (and how you ever lived without it before).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-17, 01:10 PM   #22
Soonmixdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I know the gear indicator on the L7 display has had a lot of flack from die-hard 7th gear seekers LOL but trust me it is a very useful bit of kit, and like some other things, after using it for a short while you wonder why all bikes don't have it (and how you ever lived without it before).
I wish mine had one!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Soonmixdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-17, 01:17 PM   #23
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
only time i would use it is to see i'm in 6th gear. rest of the time i'm in the correct gear

my plan this winter is to work on a 6th gear indicator for the pointy. simple single LED that will light up when in 6th but off all other gears except neutral which it will also light up when in.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-17, 01:29 PM   #24
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Pretty much every car has a gear indicator, on manual boxes you just look at the position of the gear-stick, on a CVT or Auto box once it is in drive you don't care anyway. Bikes pose a specific problem with their linear gate, (just up and down).
I reckon majority of bikers looks for the non-existent higher gear regularly. Indicator telling you when you are in top gear is a start, and bike should have a neutral light anyway.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-17, 07:30 AM   #25
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I'm not sure fishing for an imaginary 7th gear is the sort of problem that needs me to invest in gadgets and technology, especially when I've already got a rev counter right in front of me....... Surely just learning what RPM you pull at 60 or 70 (or whatever speed you like to cruise at) in top is all you need to do?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-17, 07:47 AM   #26
Chris_SVS

Quote:
only time i would use it is to see i'm in 6th gear. rest of the time i'm in the correct gear

my plan this winter is to work on a 6th gear indicator for the pointy. simple single LED that will light up when in 6th but off all other gears except neutral which it will also light up when in.
Put my name down
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-17, 08:41 PM   #27
Talking Heads

Quote:
it is a very useful bit of kit, and like some other things, after using it for a short while you wonder why all bikes don't have it (and how you ever lived without it before).
The gear indicator was one of my favourite things on my GS850G, and that was quite a while ago....
Loved that bike, wish I'd never sold it.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-17, 11:25 AM   #28
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:

Excellent project