SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-02-11, 04:36 PM   #1
skithepowder

Default Pointy SV won't find neutral when running

My 03 pointy SV won't find neutral when it's running. I can get neutral by letting the clutch out till it stalls and as it stalls it will find neutral. I noticed it do it when I went for a ride a couple of weeks ago, and today was doing it all the time. It's running fine and finding all other gears while riding absolutely fine, changing up or down. But when I'm stopped the only way I can get neutral is by stalling it and as I stall it will click into neutral if I'm putting pressure on the gear selector. It doesn't affect my riding much but it is a little bit annoying when I stop be it at a petrol station or a lay by etc etc...

Any ideas as to why it would do this and what could be wrong?

I did replace the gear selector last year after I snapped it when I dropped the bike, but up until now have not had any problems so I'm not sure if that is relevant or not!
Old 12-02-11, 04:42 PM   #2
barwel1992

Default Re: Pointy SV won't find neutral when running

mines the same, how much oil have you got in there ? over half the sight glass and mine does it, less than half and it finds neutral fine
Old 12-02-11, 04:53 PM   #3
skithepowder

Just checked and it is over half full, its basically full to the F line. But the oil does look as though it could do with a change, so maybe it's that?

Would seem strange for it to be due to having too much oil in as it's had that amount of oil in for a while and only just started to not find neutral...
Old 12-02-11, 05:03 PM   #4
SVMAT

Mines the same and oil is over the f line :P. Just find neutral while moving....i do it automaticallly now. Fresh oil and maybe adjust the clutch if it persists
Old 12-02-11, 06:24 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Adjust the clutch, a dragging clutch will definately cause the problem you're describing.

Like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me!
Slacken off cable adjusters at top and bottom, loosen lifter locknut, back out screw a bit, ensure that lifter arm is as far down as it will go, gently turn screw in until it contacts pushrod, back it out a bit, (~1/8th of a turn), then nip up the locknut, roughly adjust cable with lower adjuster - not too tight - then with top adjuster ensure that there remains a little slack all the way from lock to lock.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote