SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 21-06-04, 10:18 AM   #1
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Continental Tyres *Updated*

Just got some new Continentals which are rather amusingly called "Road Attack", if you should forget what they are titled, a brief glance will soon remind you as it's actually written in the tread pattern, (don't try this when moving, dummy).
Only done about 1000 miles on them so far but have been impressed by precise steering and good grip, I've only used them once in the rain, yesterday, they are confidence inspiring and grip well.
Best bit about them is that they are cheap, and depending on life, about which I will report on later, could be a useful alternative choice for the fiscally sensitive.

Example prices - taken from TyresalesUK.co.uk
SV1000: Front (120/70-17): £64.21, Rear (180/55-17): £78.50
SV650: Front (120/60-17): £61.36, Rear (160/60-17): £71.36
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-04, 03:58 PM   #2
rukus

Just done a deal with Oxford motorcycles for a pair of Continental Road attack tyres for £160 quid for the pair fitted and balanced including VAT!!!!

just hope they're good! I'll post a review up here as soon as I've had some decent riding out of them.

CHeers
Old 02-08-04, 11:02 AM   #3
rukus

ooooooh... new rubber. Had a full set of conti road attack fitted this morning.
I've only done 10 miles, but first impressions are....

they are more rounded than the stock dunny's so the bike feels like it's tipping into corners easier, which is quite offputting, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
The tread is DEEP!! Whether this will lead to longevity or whether it's a compromise to allow stickier compound, I don't know, but hopefully they'll have a decent lifespan.

I know they need scrubbing in so am being ultra cautious, but the prospects are good so far, no misaventures, but then so decent speed either!!
I will report more later.
Old 02-08-04, 03:12 PM   #4
wheelnut

the deep tread pattern put me off these tyres last year, but they seem to be ok. I have seen many bikes fitted with them, and retrofitted too.

I will stick with Metzelers RoadTech for another 3000 miles. nicely scrubbed in and rounded off :P
Old 07-08-04, 01:44 PM   #5
rukus

ok, done a couple of hundred miles on these tyres and they are........

FANTASTIC!

took a while to get used to due to the different profile to the stock D220's but they grip like glue. I've already had more lean and carried better speed through corners than I did on the Dunny's. And the chicken strips are still at 1-2 cm on the rear. Still not got those pegs down but I think that's me running out of balls rather than the tyres struggling.

I can't speak about longevity yet (obviously), but if anyone wants a cheap alt. to Bridgestones or others then these are the business.

Enjoy... I am!!!
Old 23-08-04, 11:46 PM   #6
GDBD59

I've got the attacks' too. (on 650S)
Done about 500 miles. I like 'em. They felt good form the outset, feel ok from cold & I like the 'cut slick' look they have. The profile should give long life as long as they don't square badly 'cos the TWI is off-centre.
They've felt ok on damp roads. I avoid rain if possible.

Word of warning. They are not a tyre for the diy fitter. The guy who did mine races bikes & uses both levers & machine. He says the sidewall on these is VERY stiff........no way they could be done by hand.
Old 24-08-04, 08:46 AM   #7
jonboy

Keep these reports coming, I might just be persuaded.

Old 24-08-04, 09:24 AM   #8
wyrdness

I'd be tempted to try some. I read a tyre review in MCN a couple of years ago that rated Conti's highly.

Here's the Road Attack page with pix and reviews:

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/contibi...yle/attack.htm
Old 24-08-04, 05:31 PM   #9
weegaz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDBD59
I've got the attacks' too. (on 650S)
Done about 500 miles. I like 'em. They felt good form the outset, feel ok from cold & I like the 'cut slick' look they have. The profile should give long life as long as they don't square badly 'cos the TWI is off-centre.
They've felt ok on damp roads. I avoid rain if possible.

Word of warning. They are not a tyre for the diy fitter. The guy who did mine races bikes & uses both levers & machine. He says the sidewall on these is VERY stiff........no way they could be done by hand.
i seen these tyres on your bike at the rideout, thing i was wondering was how hot do they get? as im sure i seen they were rated to over 170mph, and was just thinking whether the sv was gonna be able to keep these tyres warm, bikes that will do 170 will have a lot more power to heat the tyres up and keep them warm
Old 24-08-04, 06:12 PM   #10
rukus

no problems on the heating front our WeeGaz!!!

they have max speed 174 mph stamped on them, which I believe is Z rating. Isn't this the same as the stock tyres and the 020 /010 's???