SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-01-08, 07:48 PM   #1
Fatster

Default Got me a SV1000n

Ok guys had and sold the sv400s and stumbled on a nice 04 Sv1000n in the nice BLUE colour.

Its a nice contrast to the RSVR in the garage,

Im hoping to take it to France this year and would like to know if anyone has used a SV1 for this.

Also any mods that should be done to the bike touring or not.
Old 18-01-08, 08:31 PM   #2
maultin

Default Re: Got me a SV1000n

well done on the new bike & good luck
Old 18-01-08, 09:19 PM   #3
Mr Toad

Fender extender - keeps the rain off the front cylinder/spark plug which has been known to cause cutting out

A Scottoiler or similar is probably a good idea as they can be a bit heavy on the chain

No point in trying to fit a fly screen as they don't really have any effect except to cause buffeting

Make you you have proper insurance that covers you for bike usage, most of the the cheap online policies exclude use of bikes in the small print

Enjoy the trip
Old 18-01-08, 09:32 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

av a good look int euro tour section. loads a people been over the pond. I have on the black. Im Indoors managed it on Raptor. what I will say is get a bloomin gel seat.It'll save your poor butt from going numb. The DB screen helped loads on mine but it ain't a thou. Although the VRaptor needed a custom screen or Im Indoors woulda looked like the Hulk!!!!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-08, 12:52 PM   #5
Fatster

Just picked it up in the ****ing rain but still gave it a bit of welly (wellyboot that is)

Not bad very light at front but the rear jack up kit will help that and the silly standard bars will have to go as its like riding a CG125.

Ive a feeling it will be fun in the good weather.

Pics to follow soon as I get some heat backin me and dry a bit.....
Old 21-01-08, 11:14 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatster View Post
SV1000n
Yay! well done that man, clearly you are a true gentleman of taste and breeding, I can tell this as you have purchased a 'proper' SV1000 without all that guff bolted to the front of it.

Quote:
I'm hoping to take it to France this year and would like to know if anyone has used a SV1 for this.
Yes. It was a hoot, do it. Do it NOW!*

Quote:
Also any mods that should be done to the bike touring or not.
Buy lots of petrol.

*Although if you'd rather do it when it wasn't ****ing rain, grey and miserable I'd quite understand.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-08, 10:30 AM   #7
Fatster

Here she is in standard form.

Jack upkit, Renthals, tailtidy and a bag of stainless cap heads in the post.

Cans next month....

Old 25-01-08, 10:32 AM   #8
Mr Toad

and a black downpipe . . . nice
Old 25-01-08, 04:26 PM   #9
Raf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Yay! well done that man, clearly you are a true gentleman of taste and breeding, I can tell this as you have purchased a 'proper' SV1000 without all that guff bolted to the front of it.
I resent that comment sir. I think you will find that all of us proud owner of a larger capacity motorcycle have the same upbringing and have equally good taste and breeding as to you folks who decide to frolic down the ways & byways of the world.

Quote:
Yes. It was a hoot, do it. Do it NOW!*
Must add that to the to do list.

Quote:
Buy lots of petrol.
Actually, buy the whole petrol station or become a member of opec. I am sure my motorcycle has consumed enough petrol for me to be eligible for membership.

Either way good choice of bike.
Old 25-01-08, 04:54 PM   #10
Dangerous Dave

Nice SV fatster! I do like a naked 1000, theres one around the corner that I helped fit a radial GSXR front end on. Glad to hear you are gonna get rid of the shovel on the back end with a tail tidy, also as already mention a fender extender is a must have. The jack up kit will improve the handling, we had dropped the forks through the yokes a few mm too before the front end mod. I wouldn't bother with a fly screen on the 1000, even for long distance touring, we dumped one in France as it was just giving us a pain in the next (we were bike swapping often). I found my curvy was more comfortable to sit on for long periods, but that might have just been that my butt had formed to the curvy shape. The cans are a must have on any V-twin, despite having a full M4 system I would say to anybody to go for the removable bafffle type nowadays.

The only other thing I can think of is to just get out there and ride the bike, get used to it and get more confident with it.

Enjoy your SV.

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; 25-01-08 at 05:02 PM.