SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-02-09, 09:47 PM   #1
colinbryan

Smile Alpinestars leathers jacket advice please.

Hi all

looking to buy a leather jacket soon. read this link already http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...light=leathers
was helpful

but I want more opinions on ALPNESTARS (octane jacket in particular, but any info about AS quality etc would be helpful) and BERIK as well as SCOTT as the look good :P i have a budget of around £200
i want something that will last and still looks flash as i am young and dont want to look like an old coot.

thx

Colin
Old 11-02-09, 09:55 PM   #2
Magnum

Default Re: Leathers HELP!

Most people on this forum hate alpinestars, and i've heard the moto gp riders called 'walking adverts'. You are really paying for the label, and not the best protection.
Hein Gericke's own stuff is supposed to be pretty good. RST gear always seems to have good reviews.
Old 11-02-09, 09:56 PM   #3
colinbryan

thanks a lot mate, ill look into those
Old 11-02-09, 09:58 PM   #4
Sally

Nip down to HG, might have some good deals going on.
Got my set for £200, jacket and trousers..
Look 'flash' as you put it, which is important for me to, as only 17..
When you 17?
Old 11-02-09, 09:58 PM   #5
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Most people on this forum hate alpinestars, .
do they?

Old 11-02-09, 09:59 PM   #6
Magnum

Oh and also, never buy online unless you've tried them on first. And as i've been told, if leathers feel comfortable when you first wear them, then they're probably too big.

Have you considered textiles instead? I have an alpinestars t-dyno jacket. It's proved to be waterproof and comfortable. The same can be said about my HG textile trousers.
Old 11-02-09, 09:59 PM   #7
colinbryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoralba View Post
Nip down to HG, might have some good deals going on.
Got my set for £200, jacket and trousers..
Look 'flash' as you put it, which is important for me to, as only 17..
When you 17?
im 17 in 6 months, currently own rs50 so wana be 'cool' on it
Old 11-02-09, 10:00 PM   #8
colinbryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Oh and also, never buy online unless you've tried them on first. And as i've been told, if leathers feel comfortable when you first wear them, then they're probably too big.

Have you considered textiles instead? I have an alpinestars t-dyno jacket. It's proved to be waterproof and comfortable. The same can be said about my HG textile trousers.
yeah i have textiles (akito) but want leathers as im bound to come flying off soon and dont wana shred as my mate did, he has nasty looking leg
Old 11-02-09, 10:06 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

OK the important post in the thread you have linked to is this one by Lozzo

http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=18

He used to sell this stuff, and I'd be inclined to listen to what he says. At the end of the day cheap leathers are cheap leathers, I've got A* leathers but my jacket was almost twice the price of the one you're looking at and I'm also a label tart and I wanted something that matched my bike.. what I'm saying here is dont get carried away by the label on the jacket OK.

Remember dont touch Frank Thomas stuff with a bargepole ( I'm basing this on my own personal experience ) and dont think the stuff we buy off the peg from the shops bears any resemblance to what the racers wear.

Agreed on the advice about trying on before you buy, If theres a branch of J & S Accessories near you anywhere, have a look in there often they have reductions / end of line stuff and you can pick up a bargain sometiimes.

I'd also recommend you think about a seperate back protector to. Dont rely on the bit of sponge in the back of the jacket....

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 10:10 PM   #10
colinbryan

thanks for that link, v helpful.
Looking at SCOTT leathers any opinions?