SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 14-02-09, 02:04 PM   #1
neilhatch

Question Sell the good bits or sell all as one?

Okay. The time has come to think about saving my license. So happy was I when the nice Mr Police man said today was my lucky day and he couldn't get a proper reading, maybe I could have helped him with a little game of Higher, Higher) and drop from an SV1k to a DRZ400SM.

Here is the question: Do I strip off all the cosmetic bits I've put on and sell as a kit or individual pieces or PX/sell as is to finance my next bike?

Bits to be stripped.

Twin Oval Fuel Pipes - Stainless with removable baffles
Mini indiactors - front/back with extensions so not to cut wiring loom
Mini Number plate light
Silver Hugger
Silver tail tidy
Silver Solo seat
Spare passenger seat with no slip cover.

All siting on a K3

Cheers,
Neil
Old 14-02-09, 02:27 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Sell the good bits or sell all as one?

i would cosider selling....
Twin Oval Fuel Pipes - Stainless with removable baffles
Silver Solo seat
Silver Hugger
Spare passenger seat with no slip cover

but leave thses on
Mini indiactors - front/back with extensions so not to cut wiring loom
Mini Number plate light
Silver tail tidy

Old 14-02-09, 11:33 PM   #3
walkaboutandy

If you sell the whole bike on the open market then keep the extras on. If you p/x it then sell the expensive bits (as hovis says) seperately.
Old 14-02-09, 11:46 PM   #4
kwak zzr

you'll always get more money back if u sell the bits separately.
Old 15-02-09, 01:37 PM   #5
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkaboutandy View Post
If you sell the whole bike on the open market then keep the extras on. If you p/x it then sell the expensive bits (as hovis says) seperately.
Disagree.

Mods rarely add much, if anything, to the resale value of a bike. What they do add will almost certainly be less than the value of the bits on ebay.

The only time I'd leave aftermarket bits on a bike when selling it would be if I didn't have (or couldn't cheaply source) the original parts to reverse fitting.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-09, 01:14 AM   #6
walkaboutandy

I'm not saying you would get your money back for the mods or make the bike worth more but it would make the bike more attractive against other standard bikes and hence get a quick sale.
Old 16-02-09, 07:31 AM   #7
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkaboutandy View Post
I'm not saying you would get your money back for the mods or make the bike worth more but it would make the bike more attractive against other standard bikes and hence get a quick sale.
Maybe.

If I had the choice (and I have, many times) between a standard bike and one that's been tinkered with, I'd be inclined to go with the standard one every time.
Old 16-02-09, 07:53 AM   #8
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Personally, I'd look at solving the root of the problem - not dealing with the (possible) result.

Why sell the SV when it would appear that it's your right hand (& possibly your brain) thats at fault - not the bike ?

Before I get shot down here, let me just add that I had a similar situation a few years ago; sitting with 9 points on my licence (6 gained within the space of a week !!) - I became paranoid about my riding but never even considered selling the brand new VFR I'd recently bought, I just decided to slow down !!

Funnily enough I found that after a while I wasn't missing the silly speeds that I'd been used to doing & I was still enjoying riding within the 40 & 50 mph areas that I'd previously shown pretty much nothing but disdain (my points were for 48, 51 & 56mph within 40mph zones - all dual carriageways)

So, why not just try to curb your 'natural enthusiasm' (as a school report might put it) & keep the SV for a while longer ?

Don't forget that you can lose a licence just as easily on a DRZ !!
Old 16-02-09, 07:59 AM   #9
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post
I had a similar situation a few years ago; sitting with 9 points on my licence (6 gained within the space of a week !!) - I became paranoid about my riding but never even considered selling the brand new VFR I'd recently bought, I just decided to slow down !!
I'm on 9 points at the moment. I also decided to get rid of my (quicker than an SV or a VFR) bike. And replace it with an even faster one.

The only real change I've made since picking up the 9th point is to stop acting the tit on motorways. Unmarked cars are bad news, kids.
Old 17-02-09, 08:54 AM   #10
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogden View Post
I'm on 9 points at the moment. I also decided to get rid of my (quicker than an SV or a VFR) bike. And replace it with an even faster one.

The only real change I've made since picking up the 9th point is to stop acting the tit on motorways. Unmarked cars are bad news, kids.
Where as with my recent purchase I have become exactly what you have you have just stated. I think I may go get the SV fixed. Commuting on the YZF is just so much overkill.