SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-09-09, 04:50 PM   #1
Owenski

Default Popping and banging?

Banging and popping seems to be quite a normal trait for the SV. Im used to the 'normal' banging and popping from a scorpian can its an old can and about 6month ago it was re-clamped with nice shiney new clamps. Which rules out about half of the banging/popping threads.

Basically the bike WAS running fine but during a trip to b&q it all went a bit pete tong, when rolling off the throttle I began getting huge bangs and pops. This is EVERY time I ease off the throttle and very loud and fairly constant. Plus when on the throttle it feels quite bogged down. I've just had a look at the exhaust clamps all of those seem fine. I've then just looked at the carbs and realised I didnt know what the hell I was looking for but you'll be pleased to know that its all nice and shiney in there.

Anyway it'd be mint if I could have some instructions (broken down for an idiot) that can help me at least if not fix the problem, rule a few possibilities out before taking it to a mechanic. Oh this is my commuter bike so I could do with some help asap.
Old 27-09-09, 05:03 PM   #2
Neeja

Default Re: I've just read a load of threads that didnt help!

Try looking at:

This. See the little bit circled as valve nipple? There should be a little rubber cover over that - make sure it's still there and that it's not got holes in it. If it has, air is leaking into the carbs, which was causing similar symptoms on my bike to the ones you were describing.
Old 27-09-09, 05:12 PM   #3
Owenski

Neeja!
I love you

Perfect, if I ever see you make sure you point it out. I O U 1 pint!
Old 27-09-09, 05:18 PM   #4
Neeja

The rubber rotted away with little holes? Shove some vinyl tubing over it (as shown helpfully above...) with a bolt in the end - stops the leak and makes syncing the carbs a lot easier
Old 27-09-09, 05:25 PM   #5
Owenski

Default Re: Popping and banging?

not quite, its been balanced about 4months back. Obviously the previous plug had come out. I thought it was a breather pipe I didnt realise it needed blocking. I've dont exactly what you've said above. IE plugged the tube with a bolt an i'd used a cable tie to lock it in place.

PHEW! NO PUBLIC TRANSPORT FOR ME TOMMORROW!!!
Old 28-09-09, 12:19 PM   #6
sv650nutter149

so does it run ok now?
Old 28-09-09, 01:30 PM   #7
Owenski

I wouldnt say fine lol, but its fixed the problem I posted about.