SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-10-04, 10:42 PM   #1
Johnsilver

Default Wrists and hands - throttle rocker

Advice requested on the following, please, anyone. My previous ride has been more of the sit-up-and-beg persuasion, and, while I love my new SV650SK3 bigtime - only a week old - i am feeling some tension and pain in the wrist/heel-of-hand area (*the idle banter misquoting posse will almost certainly be getting itchy fingers here*). I have read earlier threads which advise more knee-gripping and lighter hand-gripping (*it's like taking candy from a baby innit guys?*) and it's getting a bit easier already.

Now, to the point - I have seen a thing called ThrottleRocker for about a tenner and am in process of scoring one from ebay supplier. It's a little paddle thing that velcro's onto twistgrip and is therefore easily removable - a good thing, as it it could be said to look a bit girlie! Anyone any experience of this lil gizmo? I also saw, in an earlier thread, mention of an O-ring that can be used to wedge throttle open on M-ways etc, but this sounds to me to fall somewhere between inadvisable and illegal?
Old 14-10-04, 11:03 PM   #2
fraser01

I had a throttle rocker/ paddle thing that i used on my K3, it worked quite well, not sure it eased the wrists though.... To be honest the problem i found was taking the weight off my wrists and what i have found is that my knox back protector supports my back enough for me to sit alittle more upright. (although if you sit too upright then you can't reach the bars) and the more you ride the stronger your back gets....

hope this helps..

Regards

Fraser
Old 15-10-04, 07:55 AM   #3
Jabba

My mate Kevin ("mogs" on here) offered a different solution a couple of weeks ago..................

"Eat more pies and drink more beer, then rest the resultant enlarged gut on the tank to take the weight off your wrists"

Might be worth a try?
Old 15-10-04, 08:19 AM   #4
Flamin_Squirrel

For a month after getting my SVS even short rides used to leave me with aching wrists... but not any more.

As you ride more you'll get used to it, not least because you'll relax and wont hold on so tight.
Old 15-10-04, 08:20 AM   #5
Nekkid

John,
I've been using one of these for a few months now and if you do any serious motorway miles, it's great. Not specifically for the wrist, however. As others have mentioned, the best way to take pressure off the wrist is to eat pies and use the gut. Or grip with the knees and use your midsection to keep the weight off your hands.
I would still get one though, it's good for preventing 'The Claw' during long motorway journeys. Also helps with blipping while you brake.
Old 15-10-04, 08:31 AM   #6
Cronos

I'm going to break with tradition and not mis-quote your post. I could be here all day if I did!!!

Have you tried to adjust the angle of the brake and clutch levers so that they are in line with your arm. One of the reasons you're getting wrist ache *bites tongue* could be because your wrists are at an uncomfortable angle to your arms in order to cover the levers.

It you ajust your levers slightly so that your wrists are in line with your arms then you won't be forcing them to the same angle and therefore should reduce pressure on them.

Hope that all makes sense!
Old 15-10-04, 08:44 AM   #7
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos
*bites tounge*
What's a tounge?
Old 15-10-04, 08:47 AM   #8
Cronos

It's teh thnig pepole woh cna't tyep use to hlep tehm speka!
Old 15-10-04, 11:09 AM   #9
Nick762

I saw a little gizmo advertised in (I think) Bike magazine this month. Apparently you fit it to the grip and it reduces the amount of twist you have to put on the throttle to open it the whole way. Not sure exactly how it works, I'll see if I can find it again. the ad' specifed SVs as one of the bikes it could be fitted to.
Old 15-10-04, 04:33 PM   #10
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick762
I saw a little gizmo advertised in (I think) Bike magazine this month. Apparently you fit it to the grip and it reduces the amount of twist you have to put on the throttle to open it the whole way. Not sure exactly how it works, I'll see if I can find it again. the ad' specifed SVs as one of the bikes it could be fitted to.
Well done Nick. 'I saw some gizmo advertised somewhere and don't know how it works'. We've learned a lot