SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-08-06, 08:42 PM   #1
Bloo

Default Sell in Oct or store + sell in Spring?

My insurance + tax are both up at the end of Sept. I don't have £750 at the moment to renew them. The awful season of winter will also soon be amoung us.

Do I

1) Sell in Oct (will I get much less for it selling it at a bad time of year?)

2) Sworn and store over winter and sell in spring (will I get any more for it if I wait?)

I plan on getting a new bike come 2007.
Old 08-08-06, 08:45 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I'd sell it as soon as you stop using it.It will deteriorate and depreciate over winter and the theoretical extra money you get in spring is a bit of a red herring IMHO.
Old 08-08-06, 08:47 PM   #3
DanAbnormal

Winter doesn't usually decend until about November, December and some years as late as Jan time and there are still some great riding opportunities right up until late October. Hell I ride all year round so I only hate Jan and feb, the other months are warm in comparison! Anyway, I would say it really is down to your preference on what you do. Personally I would keep it until next year but then I don't have a car!
Old 08-08-06, 09:03 PM   #4
Bloo

I haven't got a car either. I'd be bussing it! I wont be able to ride it for a month or two after oct any way, lack of funds! So there is not really much point in getting it insured coming so close to winter! I'll have to sleep on it.
Old 08-08-06, 09:07 PM   #5
Red ones
Mega Poster

Is it Ebikeinsurance that allow you to insure just for the months you ride and to save on teh months you don't - so long as you declare SORN?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 09:22 PM   #6
Razor

Default Re: Sell in Oct or store + sell in Spring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo
My insurance + tax are both up at the end of Sept. I don't have £750 at the moment to renew them. The awful season of winter will also soon be amoung us.

Do I

1) Sell in Oct (will I get much less for it selling it at a bad time of year?)

2) Sworn and store over winter and sell in spring (will I get any more for it if I wait?)

I plan on getting a new bike come 2007.
You'll get less if it's not taxed and tested generally speaking. The winter month buyers are a canny bunch. They know it's a buyer market and will haggle more. I try to buy a bike in January. The people that are selling are usually skint and will take much less at the post-crimbo period.
Old 08-08-06, 09:33 PM   #7
Demonz

If I had somewhere to keep it locked up I would do and sell it in the spring. Then you can use it to the end of summer. Put the insurance on pay monthly and get a couple of extra months out for the summer - Then lock it up over winter. Chances are if I sold before the end of summer the money would be spent on something else - or other toys - before the season comes round again.