SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-12-06, 01:53 PM   #1
krhall

Default Brake Fluid & Oil

OK, the brake fluid resevoir needs topping up a bit and I should get some oil too (don't need it yet but should get a little bottle).

Can anyone recommend what to get, or will anything do?

Thanks.
Old 19-12-06, 02:03 PM   #2
Baph

Pretty much any DOT4 brake fluid will do for you. As for oil, well, I've never actually had to put any in mine personally (over the last almost 10k miles), this doesn't mean that the oil hasn't been changed, just that I haven't done it. My servicing period is so damn often see.

I'm sure others with more knowledge will be along shortly, but from what I've read on the forum, pretty much any decent bike oil would be OK.

Don't trust a word I say though, I've not put any of either in my bike!
Old 19-12-06, 02:05 PM   #3
Razor

For top up I just use the Halford's bike oil, they do a specific 10w40 just for bikes.
Old 19-12-06, 02:10 PM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Unless you have a leak, i wouldnt top up your brake fluid. It drops over time due to the fact your pads wear. check the level of your front brake pads as well. If you really do need to top it up, then yes, any quality DOT4 fluid will do. I use Halfords if thats any use.

As for oil. Again, its an emotional subject...yes really, but 10w40 semin synth is whats recommended and thats what i put in. Again, brand not really an issue, as long as its a good oil. Castrol, Silkolene, Shell etc. Also make sure its a bike oil and not car. Some car oils will cause clutch slip...and again, some peope will say other wise.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-06, 02:53 PM   #5
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Unless you have a leak, i wouldnt top up your brake fluid. It drops over time due to the fact your pads wear. check the level of your front brake pads as well. If you really do need to top it up, then yes, any quality DOT4 fluid will do. I use Halfords if thats any use.

As for oil. Again, its an emotional subject...yes really, but 10w40 semin synth is whats recommended and thats what i put in. Again, brand not really an issue, as long as its a good oil. Castrol, Silkolene, Shell etc. Also make sure its a bike oil and not car. Some car oils will cause clutch slip...and again, some peope will say other wise.
^

What he said (including the fact that I use Halfords brake fluid ).
Old 19-12-06, 08:41 PM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

....and remember brake fluid really does need changing every couple of years (or more often) due to absorbing moisture from the atmosphere.

If you see old brake fluid you'll appreciate what it means.

I'm fairly sure Halfords branded stuff is actually Castrol (or at least it used to be). I use Halfords brake fluid too, any of the DOT4 types is fine. If you aren't familiar with the DOT5/DOT5.1 differences just steer clear of them!
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-06, 12:58 AM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

The other nice thing about Halfords is they sell those tiny bottles... A half litre bottle's way more than you need for bikes, and if you seal it up and leave it a year it could take on moisture in that time.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote