SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-05-21, 10:49 PM   #2261
svenrico

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I hope they don't shake up your eyeballs like Brit singles used to.
Or the BMW 800 that I had a test ride on a while ago!
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 10:51 PM   #2262
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
I've already had a test ride on the RE interceptor, imo... it's a brilliant bike for the money, suspension is a little soft but only really noticeable when pressing on, the HP isn't going to re-write the rule book but it more than makes up for it in torque and sheer driveability. Very neutral handling and surprisingly nimble. Fit n finish is as good as anything out there in it's league tbh. The fuelling is just about spot on, pull really cleanly in any gear at any revs, Gearbox is very slick too, brakes are more than capable.
Already there are big bore kits that take it close to 100bhp and from what I've heard it's 'must have' option!
All in all... I was very impressed with the overall package despite it's low price, if I didn't have my SV I'd buy one in a heartbeat, I'm a brit bike nut anyway so the retro brit bike feel is right up my ally.
Sounds good. I like the look of that Royal Enfield V twin concept bike, that would be interesting if they put it into production.
Old 11-05-21, 12:08 PM   #2263
redtrummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
CAD is just a tool for producing drawings, it doesn't actually 'design' things !

Of course - had a senior moment, not unusual and getting more frequent!
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-21, 03:35 PM   #2264
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Of course - had a senior moment, not unusual and getting more frequent!
I used to work in a design office and the normal saying about CAD was 'it improves the appearance of your drawings'....... so people who could not draw straight lines and do nice printing were level with the ones who could. It did absolutely nothing for the quality of the design though. Customers liked 3D CAD because even the ones who could not read a conventional drawing could admire the pretty shapes and nod their head knowledgeably.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-21, 03:37 PM   #2265
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Sounds good. I like the look of that Royal Enfield V twin concept bike, that would be interesting if they put it into production.
Pretty much all RE concept and design done in UK.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 11-05-21, 04:31 PM   #2266
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Their whizzy, new(ish) Tech Centre is at Bruntingthorpe.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-21, 09:53 PM   #2267
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I used to work in a design office and the normal saying about CAD was 'it improves the appearance of your drawings'....... so people who could not draw straight lines and do nice printing were level with the ones who could. It did absolutely nothing for the quality of the design though. Customers liked 3D CAD because even the ones who could not read a conventional drawing could admire the pretty shapes and nod their head knowledgeably.
It certainly did away with draughtsmanship skills and made all drawings look alike whoever produced them. What I found was that younger 'cad monkeys' could churn out drawings fast on cad although the actual content left a lot to be desired ! All history for me now though !
Old 12-05-21, 08:34 AM   #2268
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
It certainly did away with draughtsmanship skills and made all drawings look alike whoever produced them. What I found was that younger 'cad monkeys' could churn out drawings fast on cad although the actual content left a lot to be desired ! All history for me now though !
We used to call them 'keyboard jockeys' - a lot used to sit pretty much horizontal in their seats with earphones in. I pulled the earphones off one sloucher and pretended to listen and said ( out loud ) 'you know what the earphones are doing, they are saying 'breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out....' such fun. As you say, they could insert blocks and all the other stuff, but very little idea about design.

Old 12-05-21, 05:18 PM   #2269
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
My Callipers are 4 piston (2 pairs opposing each other - BMW F800ST). I've already ordered some retaining pins as they're not in the best of nick, no marks which would inhibit the return of the piston. But at 11 years old they probably need replacing!
New pins arrived and replaced today - i always like how easy Bike brakes are to work on.

eBay price - £30 for 4 x pins & R-Clips (genuine BMW stuff - brought in bulk)
BMW price - £96! £18 per pin & £6 for an R-Clip. I'm guessing they're not common to replace/marked as an item to replace after X amount of time.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-21, 08:53 PM   #2270
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Decided to purchase one more valve bucket for the VFR before doing it all back up. I worked out it meant I could swap two left over ones into the place of two that were in spec but at the tighter end of spec, which would mean they would go out of spec (tightening up) quicker than if I swapped them over for ones with an extra 0.07mm. Bit of a hassle going through the whole provess of undoing everything, refitting with locking pellets in the VTEC buckets, remeasuring clearances to check and then undoing again to remove the locking pellets, then refitting again.. on both banks of cyclinders. But I had £250 of gaskets in front of me and decided I didn't want to open it all up again any time soon.

This means everything is now spot on spec and should be good for another 16k miles at least. Still got to put all the covers, air box, tank and radiator back on and do up all the vacuum lines and electrics, but getting there.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote