SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-05-21, 07:58 PM   #5241
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Got to 'test ride' my new Bike jeans today on the commute into work. They weren't as breezy as i thought they might be (although i was wearing base layers), and i don't feel as exposed as i thought i might.

Getting my head around the safety level (AAA) helped me to feel more at ease with them. Understanding the protection level they do offer, should that be called in to action!

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-21, 12:08 AM   #5242
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
Got to 'test ride' my new Bike jeans today on the commute into work. They weren't as breezy as i thought they might be (although i was wearing base layers), and i don't feel as exposed as i thought i might.

Getting my head around the safety level (AAA) helped me to feel more at ease with them. Understanding the protection level they do offer, should that be called in to action!
They seem to call all textile motorcycle trousers jeans nowadays.
I think only denim trousers are jeans !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-21, 09:18 AM   #5243
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:

The thing that most textile / kevlar jeans miss out on are Kneepads ( although newer ones do have facility to fit them ). I am a fair weather biker these days and have worn Kevlar lined jeans for last 10 years and find them much more user friendly than the bulky sweaty variety of motorcycle legwear. I never deliberately ride in rain anyway and find the Jeans warm enough most of the time, on colder days ( less than 10 deg C ) a pair of base layer pants helps, especially the ones with reinforced knees.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-21, 06:57 PM   #5244
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
They seem to call all textile motorcycle trousers jeans nowadays.
I think only denim trousers are jeans !
True, some places do refer to them this way - and includes leathers in there too for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
The thing that most textile / kevlar jeans miss out on are Kneepads ( although newer ones do have facility to fit them ). I am a fair weather biker these days and have worn Kevlar lined jeans for last 10 years and find them much more user friendly than the bulky sweaty variety of motorcycle legwear. I never deliberately ride in rain anyway and find the Jeans warm enough most of the time, on colder days ( less than 10 deg C ) a pair of base layer pants helps, especially the ones with reinforced knees.
I did find that my legs felt more free, compared to my normal textiles leg wear. It was only about 10 degrees when i was out, and i put base layers on just in case. These jeans have Knee & Hip armour - i would not have gone for any which did not have this option/capability.

BMW F800ST
Old 13-05-21, 11:00 PM   #5245
svenrico

Quote:
True, some places do refer to them this way - and includes leathers in there too for some reason.
I did find that my legs felt more free, compared to my normal textiles leg wear. It was only about 10 degrees when i was out, and i put base layers on just in case. These jeans have Knee & Hip armour - i would not have gone for any which did not have this option/capability.
So what make are they ?
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-21, 07:45 AM   #5246
Seeker
Mega Poster

Finally had my multi-parametric MRI last night. What's a mpMRI I hear you ask? It's like a regular MRI only you have a needle in your arm, that was a bit of an anticlimax after a name like that.

The steel town whose name isn't allowed by the censors (starts with Sc and ends in thorpe) hospital has very little parking so I arrived 2 hours early and, of course, there was ample parking. I go in anyway and find out there's been a "no-show" and I get the scan immediately. Win!

For those who haven't had an MRI - it's like lying perfectly still in a metal sewer pipe that is slightly bigger than your body (and I'm small) whilst somebody hits it with a heavy hammer at varying rates for 45 minutes. They at least used to you play music over headphones but because of covid (cleaning) you now just get earplugs. 45 minutes of hammer percussion gets a little boring.
_________

On another (temporary) smile, I received a $1400 cheque from the US Treasury department as an "Economic Impact Payment". Unfortunately, it's a mistake since I submitted an I-407 form which is a voluntary surrender of my Green Card which disallows me from the stimulus payment. The minor gripe is that if I don't tell them they'll send another in 6 months and it can get a little ugly after that. You can phone them, or write to them but no electronic communications - welcome to 1980.
_
Old 14-05-21, 10:10 AM   #5247
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
So what make are they ?
PMJ - these jeans

BMW F800ST
Old 14-05-21, 01:00 PM   #5248
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
On another (temporary) smile, I received a $1400 cheque from the US Treasury department as an "Economic Impact Payment". Unfortunately, it's a mistake since I submitted an I-407 form which is a voluntary surrender of my Green Card which disallows me from the stimulus payment. The minor gripe is that if I don't tell them they'll send another in 6 months and it can get a little ugly after that. You can phone them, or write to them but no electronic communications - welcome to 1980.
_
Do you plan to visit the US again anytime soon? If not, I doubt they'd push to extradite you

Glad you got the MRI done, fingers crossed.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-21, 01:21 PM   #5249
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Do you plan to visit the US again anytime soon? If not, I doubt they'd push to extradite you
No, but I collect US Social Security (US gov pension) and they would put a lien against it, plus I have a 401K investment (you pay in whilst working and the company matches your payment) it's tax free until withdrawal and then you get dinged a minimum 20% tax by the fund managers which I then have to claim back because of a UK/US tax agreement - that too can have a lien put on it. The IRS doesn't mess around with individuals - only US corporations can fiddle the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Glad you got the MRI done, fingers crossed
Thanks, I got so carried away in chasing to get the scan, I'd forgotten why I needed one.
Old 14-05-21, 03:11 PM   #5250
admin
John T
Mega Poster

No rain today. Got out on the ebike for a couple of hours.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk