SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-07-16, 08:58 PM   #1
AlexAdams

Default Idle speed

Could anyone shed some light on why my pointy doesn't fast idle when cold nor do the revs move when the clutch is pulled, I thought both of these should raise the revs?

I've adjusted the TPS, balanced the throttles, the clutch switch works, the dash temp gauge reads perfectly, the fans come on at a reasonable temperature.

Any ideas or is it normal?

Ps) SK6 Pointy.

This thread on SVrider makes me think that there's another step after adjusting the TPS as per Bibio's thread.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158347

From what I can tell, the fast idle controller moves to a position based on tps voltage, move the tps, move the fast idle position. I'm pretty sure the fast idle adjustment screw needs to be set correctly after the tps tweak. Hopefully setting the fast idle speed won't undo what the tps tweak achieved in the first place.

Last edited by AlexAdams; 18-07-16 at 09:41 PM.
Old 18-07-16, 09:44 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Idle speed

Pulling in the clutch should do nothing to the revs, they should stay stable.
On a cold start, when the temp is low single figure digits you'll get a fast/higher idle but generally it'll be a 'normal' idle other than those low temperatures.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-16, 10:04 PM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

+1 to the above. On my own K6, when the ambient temps are around 15C or above, a start from stone cold (that is, the bike's not been ridden for more than a day) will see the revs around 2,000 for no more than about 5 seconds, then the idle speed will drop to maybe 1,400 - 1,500 over a few more seconds.

When hot the bike idles at blob on 1,300 on the tacho, and rpm doesn't change when clutch is pulled, either in gear or in neutral.

Last edited by Craig380; 18-07-16 at 10:05 PM.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-16, 10:31 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAdams View Post
Could anyone shed some light on why my pointy doesn't fast idle when cold nor do the revs move when the clutch is pulled, I thought both of these should raise the revs?

I've adjusted the TPS, balanced the throttles, the clutch switch works, the dash temp gauge reads perfectly, the fans come on at a reasonable temperature.

Any ideas or is it normal?

Ps) SK6 Pointy.

This thread on SVrider makes me think that there's another step after adjusting the TPS as per Bibio's thread.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158347

From what I can tell, the fast idle controller moves to a position based on tps voltage, move the tps, move the fast idle position. I'm pretty sure the fast idle adjustment screw needs to be set correctly after the tps tweak. Hopefully setting the fast idle speed won't undo what the tps tweak achieved in the first place.
when adjusting the TPS on single spark SV's you need to adjust the tickover as well.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-16, 06:32 AM   #5
AlexAdams

The hot idle is set correctly around 1400 rpm. A quick investigation in the dark last night suggests my stva may be seized as I could only see it moving very slightly when I turned the ignition on. It wouldn't enormously surprise me that something has seized given the lack of use my bike has had since new.
Old 19-07-16, 07:07 AM   #6
Craig380
Mega Poster

You could try lubing the actuator joints and the STV motor shaft with sewing-machine oil - I did this on mine shortly after getting it and it made the throttle action lovely and smooth. A while back a poster solved their STV position error code by lubing the joints as they were crusty and dry.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-16, 12:48 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

my bike has 30+k miles on it and i have never had the need to lube the throttle body linkages. my bike sits outside without a cover in all weather and doesn't move a wheel in the winter.

Alex,
roughly how much did you move the TPS when you done the adjustment?
how many revs is it when the line moves on the dash?
how many miles are on the bike?
are all the PAIR, vacuum hoses and sensor connectors connected properly on the air box?

a common problem is when you put the tank back down hoses/cables get trapped in amongst the throttle body linkages so hinders the movement. make sure that none of them are rubbing against any linkages.
Old 19-07-16, 09:20 PM   #8
AlexAdams

Thanks for your input. I moved the tps about 1mm I guess, luckily I got it right first time based on other's input on the thread, the line jumps just off idle, so 1500rpm approx. Bike's done under 5k, but had less than 2k when I started riding it towards the tail end of last year. My throttle feels free, faired so difficult to check for obstructions, I'll take the fairings off at the weekend and investigate further. This is far from my first time tinkering, I'm sure all the air box connections were fine when I put it back on. The seal between front TB and airbox was a bar steward though!
Old 19-07-16, 09:34 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

yup air box is a bit of a pain. i use a very thin smear of RRG on the lip of the TB's to get the rubbers back on. something else to check is the blanking caps on the vacuum nipples on the TB's, these sometimes perish.
Old 20-07-16, 12:37 PM   #10
AlexAdams

I've read the link more carefully in SVrider and the manual quite clearly states that the TPS should read 1.21V with the STVA fully open, and the fast idle screw should be adjusted if this is not the case.

As I understand it the STVA acts upon the throttle linkage opening the throttle (slightly) to control/achieve fast idle. The mechanical fast idle adjustment should achieve 1.21V at the TPS with the STVA at maximum operation.

This all seems fairly simple apart from getting a reading from the TPS.

Considering that I have moved the TPS, there is little doubt that the fast idle calibration has affected.

I guess the real question is now that the TPS has been moved is 1.21V still the target position?

I have an idea that this setting may in fact be why the TPS's on everyone's bikes are so far out from factory, are Suzuki positioning the TPS to 1.21V with the STVA at full movement, instead of setting the TPS to the throttle, then adjusting the fast idle to suit????