Split rideout into groups e.g. fast/inter/slow 4 18.18%
Slow the pace in general 1 4.55%
Agree on pre arranged stops 14 63.64%
Ride to or develop a system 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-07-07, 10:40 AM   #1
stuartyboy

Default Rideouts

Guys/Gals....reading between the lines it seems to me that there's a slight concern about rideouts. I'm basing this on some of the recent posts I saw about people getting left behind or their confidence getting dented.

By example I was out recently with the local MCC and the rideout was very well organised. No one got left behind and the pace picked up comfortably. In the end everyone was buzzing and the numbers increased by 3 people for the next meet. Admitedly there was a meeting a few weeks back about the numbers dwindling for rideouts. The main gripe was that too many people were riding for themselves - ie seeing a one bike overtake then shooting off into the distance and leaving everyone else behind.

Obviously if people are losing confidence at SV Eccosse rideouts then it's going to affect the numbers.

So...can we have a wee discussion to get people's thoughts and see if there's anything to improve or resolve or suggest.

I've added a wee poll but any suggestions for other questions would be helpful.

Last edited by stuartyboy; 17-07-07 at 10:47 AM.
Old 17-07-07, 11:09 AM   #2
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rideouts

Not been out with y'all this year so far but for what its worth, i voted pre-designated stops. Everything else puts to much onus on the individual rider "slow" , "medium" or "fast".
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-07, 11:47 AM   #3
on yer bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAMASHER View Post
Not been out with y'all this year so far but for what its worth, i voted pre-designated stops.
I would agree, only from previous experience, if people don't know where the stop is, and if its off the main road, then some people don't see others turn off, and they just keep going. So if it goes that way, I feel an accurate map needs to be posted with all stops clearly marked AND DESCRIBED, that way people know where they are going.

I am aware that on my last ride out I shot off ahead of a lot of people towards the end (although there was still one or two ahead of me :P) and I just stopped at the meeting points. Although I am usually a fast rider, I normally do try and keep with the group. There was a number of reasons why I flew off ahead.

I was in pain with dried out eyes from the fly hitting me, also in a bit of shock with the whole almost throwing myself to my own death over a bridge. I was feeling so tired after that unmentionable road. I was annoyed at my bike falling to bits. I basically had had enough and just wanted to get home and/or at least be on my own for a bit. Anyway thats enough of my excuses.

A) the groups aren't big enough to be split.
B) if the whole group was slowed down, some faster riders just wouldn't bother coming
C) If they are clearly arranged, and everyone knows exactly where the are going. Also if people decide to leave the group, or miss a stop they should let others know in advanced.
D) I dont know what you mean by "Ride to or develop a system"

I think if we use Clearly known pre-arranged stops, shown and described on maps, then we should be ok.

Also if we make more stops, then the group may stay together a bit more, just because its a stop doesn't mean you have to get off the bike and have a fag and spend half an hour dosing about. a stop means you wait until the person at the back has caught up, then set off again, doesn't even need to involve getting off the bike. Yes have lunch stops etc as usual, but have other stops at the end of long stretches of road etc to let others catch up.
Old 17-07-07, 01:11 PM   #4
Quedos

Stuarty - me thinks you already know my view but I'm taking the 5th amendment.

Personally should be split into groups with people choosing the groups they wish to ride in. Just because you are classed as fast doesn't mean you have to ride fast everytime you are out its a decision to be made on the day.

You need pre arranged stops to do head counts for safety and ensure everyone is there regardless what systems you choose.

However what needs to be address is whats the purpose of somebody going out - is it ride fast, improve their group riding, improve riding in general, learn from those with experience, enjoy themselves??

But hey thats from a non suzuki rider
Old 17-07-07, 01:47 PM   #5
stuartyboy

Q - I didn't actually but your opinion counts nonetheless. My confidence took a serious nosedive after my off but a track session got me feeling better again - much to the amazement of some rr guys

My main reason for this thread was I remember a couple of conversations from the Borders rideout and I saw a couple of posts. A few people got lost left behind etc.

I just though rather than people express concerns and miss out - we bash it out and discuss so we can all come to a compromise and get everyone enjoying themselves.

It didn't bother me in the slightest being left behind because I know those roads well enough from visiting my sister. Apart from that my elbow was fooked after the st.mary's loch stretch so it was all I could do to go round left handers and clutch down.

I'm more than happy to tag along at the back if needs be on any rideout. I'm just happy being out cos the banter makes it worth while too.

Seriously though - the last couple of rideouts with the local MCC have been absolutely brilliant. Me and a couple of the guys took turns leading or going at the back. By the end of the rideout the slower less confident riders were right up there. When we all got to the end of the rideout there wasn't a single voice about not keeping up or feeling left out.

Surely if we can get everybody's confidence/morale up then it can only be a good thing?

As for the group thingy - possible suggestion - how about one of the stronger riders sits back and gives some feedback to the slower riders at the end of a stage? It would make it more interesting for the guy at the back and could be of benefit to the slower riders.
Old 17-07-07, 02:17 PM   #6
Baph

Firstly, apologies for the intrusion over the border I shant be voting though.

My personal thoughts on what works best is quite easy to sum up.

In a relatively small group (for example, 7-8 bikes), there should be a leader, and a tail ender. Both of these should know the route well. Ideally, the leader a fast rider, and the tail ender, it doesn't really matter.

Then, someone who wants to, and is comfortable riding fast, acts as a marker.

Then everyone rides however they want to ride. Emphasis on them actually riding to their ability & nothing more. There will be a natural spread of people between the leader & tail-ender (who is the only one that's not supposed to over take).

If the leader can't see the marker, slow down, or stop. Even go back & find them. Everyone follows the leader.

If the marker can't see the tail ender, as previous paragraph.

Depending on the number of people on the ride, and the pace, possibly add more markers to the above.

Job jobbed, everyone riding for themselves (other than lead, marker(s), and tail). Take it in turns to run as lead, marker(s) and tail.

Personally, I like tail ender, as it's an excuse to hang back & then open up whenever suitable. I'd probably like marker too, and I'm comfortable running leader (only done it once).

Something for your thoughts.
Old 17-07-07, 04:25 PM   #7
on yer bike

That just feels too organised for me, lol
Old 17-07-07, 04:38 PM   #8
stuartyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Firstly, apologies for the intrusion over the border ...Something for your thoughts.
No worries mate - you're welcome up here. You should come on a rideout.

Good suggestions!
Old 17-07-07, 06:12 PM   #9
Beaniebike

IMHO, Baph's suggestion sounds perfect. Means that everyone can basically ride the way they want. It would be awful of someone, say, said that they thought they were a slow rider, jioned that group, and then realised that they actually are not as slow as the folks in that group! I think your riding style and speed can change from road to road if you know what I mean.
Old 18-07-07, 04:48 AM   #10
-Ralph-

1. Pre-arranged stops and a designated tail ender so no one gets left behind. Take a hi-vis and pass it onto the next volunteer at stops if you don't want to be tail ender for the whole rideout. If your holding up the tail ender, take the Hi-Vis at the next stop.

2. Front runners don't change road or general direction without waiting for the back of the group. A front runner is whoever feels like going fastest at the time.

3. If the stop is off the main route somebody stays on the main route to flag down anyone who might ride straight past.

4. Swap mobile numbers and if you get lost, stop in a layby every so often and check your messages. I stick my mobile in my tankbag map pocket so I can see any missed calls on the screen.

That way everyone rides at a speed thats comfortable for them, if the groups gonna split it'll split naturally.

I sometimes get a bored or have a silly moment and hare off into the distance, then stop and wait at the next junction. Better waiting further up the road having a fag with a grin on your face, than getting frustrated and bored riding at somebody elses pace.

In the wet I'll drop right back, while others blast on regardless, I've had no confidence in the wet since my wee incident on the rideout in July last year.

I don't agree with a designated front runner. That person feels pressured to press on hard all the time so as to keep up the pace at the front. What if he's thirsty, wet, cold, headache, or just plain uncomfortable with the road conditions? If that person isn't pressing on hard, the guy behind is thinking "come on, lets go, I love this bit of road", but feels he can't overtake a designated front runner. Let everybody enjoy and concentrate on thier own riding.

I stopped going to rideouts which were really strictly organised, front runner, back runner, ride to the guy in your mirrors, etc, etc. Spent the whole time at 40mph, eyes fixated on my mirrors, not my idea of fun.

Think the poll results say it all really, folk don't want too many rules, folk want FREEDOM!

Last edited by -Ralph-; 18-07-07 at 04:54 AM.