SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-07-09, 01:30 PM   #1
neilhatch

Question Cooling fan kicks in at 103 but off at 105?

With the recent heat my bike has been running hot. When it reaches 103 (normally when I get home) the fan kicks in. I've left the ignition on so this happens but if it gets to 105 the fan switches off regardless. This has caused it to reach 107 before beginning to cool.

The main reason this concerns me is that I'm planning to fit full fairing soon and this may cause problems.

Q) What is likely to be cutting the fan out at 105? temp gauge fault?

Q2) There is a mod to have the fan kick in sub 100, but I can't find the links. Any ideas?

Cheers and summer beers,

Neil

Sv1k 03
Old 02-07-09, 11:35 AM   #2
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cooling fan kicks in at 103 but off at 105?

What year is the bike?

I know that on my K6 is kicks it at 105, and doesn't stop until it gets back down to 100?
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 11:41 AM   #3
neilhatch

Hi Steve,

Its a K3 1000. It has only started with the heat but as I plan the full fairing I'm a little concerned.

I know I've read about mod that means the fan kicks in a lot lower. Possibly a resister or after market temp gauge but my search skills are pretty naff.

Cheers,
Neil
Old 02-07-09, 12:24 PM   #4
simesb

From reading your post, it sounds like you are stopping the engine so the fan stops, but leaving the ignition on to read the temp?

If so, I'm not surprised. Don't think the fan turns without the engine running on the SV
Old 02-07-09, 12:32 PM   #5
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by simesb View Post
From reading your post, it sounds like you are stopping the engine so the fan stops, but leaving the ignition on to read the temp?

If so, I'm not surprised. Don't think the fan turns without the engine running on the SV
Ah... I missed that part of the first post.

If that is the case, then yes the fan does stop as soon as the engine stops running.
And it would still increase a few degrees because the coolant temperature fluctuates as it goes through the system.

To test it properly, turn it on, leave it to idle up to normal running temperature, and then start revving the engine to get the engine warm enough so that the fan clicks in (keeping it around 6/7k for 5 minutes or so should do the trick).
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 12:35 PM   #6
neilhatch

That is what I'm doing....though stragley the fan will kick in when in that mode. Will leave the engine to run a little longer tonight before switching off.

have you heard of the fan mod? Really stuck with finding it on here.

Cheers,
neil
Old 02-07-09, 01:58 PM   #7
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Im sure it wouldn't take much of a technical know how to put the fan on a manually operated switch rather than the sensor.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 03:59 PM   #8
thefallenangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
Im sure it wouldn't take much of a technical know how to put the fan on a manually operated switch rather than the sensor.

Fused feed the same size as on there now, a cheap toggle switch and link it into where the feed is now.