SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-09-14, 01:09 PM   #11
carpet monster

Default Re: Doing without a car?

Hi all.

Yes well deduced, money is tight... I have a pair of bar muffs I can fit. Tried heated grips before but one died shortly after fitting. They went in the bin!
Old 12-09-14, 03:06 PM   #12
wyrdness

If you did without a car, would you then be "pet monster"?
Old 12-09-14, 03:19 PM   #13
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness View Post
If you did without a car, would you then be "pet monster"?

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 04:19 PM   #14
Nutsinatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpet monster View Post
Hi all.

Yes well deduced, money is tight... I have a pair of bar muffs I can fit. Tried heated grips before but one died shortly after fitting. They went in the bin!
Give the muffs a go, I tried them on my (pointy) SV and they were the best value for money increase in hand warmth, I could still wear summer gloves well into winter; however they pressed on my brake and clutch lever over 40/50mph so I took them off, work just fine on a CBF125 though!
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-14, 06:22 AM   #15
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Re: Doing without a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsinatin View Post
Give the muffs a go, I tried them on my (pointy) SV and they were the best value for money increase in hand warmth, I could still wear summer gloves well into winter; however they pressed on my brake and clutch lever over 40/50mph so I took them off, work just fine on a CBF125 though!
I had bar muffs and ran into a similar problem. I put a hole in the side of each and used some washers either side of the muff and the bar end weight bolts to secure them. Never had a problem again.

Put the hole lower than the exact middle though as you need to fit your hands above the bars and nothing below. I didn't think that through in the first effort.

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard

Last edited by jambo; 13-09-14 at 06:23 AM.
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-14, 09:44 PM   #16
missyburd

Pinlock a must have. Silk liner gloves (£6 off ebay) also make a big difference.

I also invested £30 in a waterproof onepiece, one of my best bits of kit. Typically only bought it early this year after 4 winters but have used it multiple times already on some very chilly mornings on a 30 mile commute, takes most of the wind chill off and seals up any draughts. I'm not doing a 5th winter on the bike though, I have gone to the dark side and booked a car test
Old 13-09-14, 09:53 PM   #17
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Doing without a car?

I ride year round. Have done for 15 years. Missyburd is spot on.
One piece overalls are great, but a faff to put on and take off and they're so huge it's often difficult to find some where to hang them at work.
I find wearing a fleece under my jacket a great help, and wind proof fleeces are brilliant.

Lobster claw gloves and liners are almost a must. As are poly bags on your feet inside the boots.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-14, 10:00 PM   #18
missyburd

Ooops yes, forgot to mention the immense faff of getting them on and off, but you can be sure you'll be warm and toasty by the time you eventually get on the bike - you'll probably have a right lather on NOt worth it for short journeys but for 40 miles like you're on about, they're a must.
Old 15-09-14, 09:41 AM   #19
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

I've been thinking about some over trousers but I want some salopette/dungaree style ones.

I've got my waterproof textile jacket which is good enough but found that the trousers that only zip to the jacket at the back let water in at the front at the top of the trousers, so my plan is to carry on wearing my bike jeans/trousers but if I can find some over salopettes they will prevent the water 'climbing up' the trousers far enough to get in.

Does anyone know of some? Just the same as over water proof over trousers not big thermal padded ski pants, I already have some of them that I gor from Aldi for walking the dogs and they are great but I think they'd be tooo hot and 'the tackle' may over heat.

Definitely looking at some bar muffs though

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-14, 11:56 AM   #20
Hysteria_UK

I ride all year and agree with everyone on here.

Muffs which attached to the bar end weights are a fix. Mine attach to each other so when you pull them tight, they don't move so not had to attach them.

To get round the problem of water getting in at the top of your trousers, I use a thin waterproof jacket underneath tucked into my trousers. Works well. Hindsight says buy salopette/dungaree style ones next time.

I have only been riding 2 years but in all that time, I have only had 2 weeks where I couldn't ride due to living in the countryside and we had ice/snow. if you are able to catch a bus or get a lift for work, I think its quite easily do'able.

One word of warning though, when its your only mode of transport, I don't know if you will enjoy it as much as it stops being novel. It will make you a 10 times better rider though!