SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-12-14, 02:14 PM   #11
Spank86

Default Re: ADSL through powerline homeplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Fair enough. It's because the main phone line is in my bedroom and I'd rather not have a router ticking and flashing if I can help it.
They don't usually make a noise, as for the lights, Put it in a cardboard box and poke some holes in the back to let more heat out?
Old 10-12-14, 02:17 PM   #12
Amadeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
Amadeus' solution is a far better one (although the way he's phrased it sounds overly complicated).
Ah, yes, I have a managed switch in my study because I have more things to plug in than my router has ports.
And my Homeplug in the snug only has one port but again, I have lots of things to plug in.

Sorry for over complicating Darren!

Last edited by Amadeus; 10-12-14 at 02:25 PM. Reason: I was on the phone to Andrew...
Old 10-12-14, 03:13 PM   #13
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Only one phone socket unfortunately and laminate flooring so don't want to be tripping on cables.

Hides it away
Old 10-12-14, 03:18 PM   #14
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default ADSL through powerline homeplug

It's a rented flat so I won't be doing anything like that. It's not a big deal, it would have just been good to sort it with the homeplugs since I have them anyway
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-14, 04:16 PM   #15
NTECUK
Mega Poster

It's only a bit of double sided tape.
So no big deal.
All mines behind the skirting boards.
Old 10-12-14, 05:10 PM   #16
jambo
Mega Poster

I would guess as above you'll need a router.

This isn't analogue, it's 2 different network standards, so switching standards needs equipment that can handle both, in this case it's a router. If you were to connect the RJ11 from the phone line to the RJ45 of the Ethernet over power adapter, the DSLAM at the exchange would attempt to have a conversation with the Ethernet -> Power adapter, which neither side would understand.

The smallest ADSL router is your best bet, maybe even a wireless ADSL router and use another wireless receiver -> Ethernet to power adapter to keep wires to a minimum for that first hop.

Good luck!

Jambo
Old 10-12-14, 05:11 PM   #17
wyrdness

Quote:
Is it possible to take the Internet cable from an ADSL filter straight in to an Ethernet homeplug with some sort of plug adaptor? Then have the ADSL router on the other homeplug.

It is to avoid having two routers if possible
No you can't. They're entirely different things. You need an ADSL modem connected to the phone socket (usually the master socket), then connect that to the homeplug. I'm not sure why you'd need two routers, but that would depend on your home networking setup.