SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-09-10, 04:37 PM   #1
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Default Hypermotard 1100 Evo

Just test ridden one.

First impressions: Looks pretty darn cool to me. Trellis frame, air cooled 90 degree L twin, single sided swingarm, big Brembos up front. Massive diameter header pipes leading to twin underseat pipes. The Tank is tiny and the seat is high. I have a 32 inch inside leg measurement and was just about able to touch the floor on tippy toes.

From the saddle you look down on a neat LCD dash. Looks very smart. The bars are wide and with the mirrors folded out from the end of the hand guards, filtering is going to be very interesting. Mirrors are crap by the way.

Turn the key in the ignition and thumb the starter. The twin throbs into a lumpy 2K idle. A minute later and the revs drop a bit lower as the aircooled mill starts to heat up.

Clutch in, heavier than the R1 but not by much, and kick it into first. The gear lever is very snick snick. Hardly any movement required to change gear.

Few revs and out of the dealers car park and onto the main road. I have to filter through the traffic to get to the winding roads where this thing should come alive. Sod this. Folding the mirrors in. It's ridiculously wide.

Out on the road and away from the traffic now. You notice just how high you sit on the bike compared to a sports bike. It's a commanding position and the forward visibility is excellent. It's a very comfortable riding position. Upright, slid right forward on the saddle, elbows out. Zero weight on the wrists. Damn this is plush. It a one piece rider and pillion seat and there's a ridge in the seat where it transitions to the pillion seat. It's not very comfortable there.

Right. Let's open this thing up.....wheelie! Ha ha. Excellent. There is grunt from 3k. It's a little lumpy down there, but smooths out nicely as the revs rise. It's not turbine smooth like an IL4, but relative to the low revs it is. This thing has got bags of get up and go. Torquing it out of a corner is brilliant.

And talking about corners, this thing lives for them. The first few bends are a bit cautious. Not overly familiar with the bike and I am sat really high in the air. That and the £1000 excess I have just signed up for if I bin the bugger.

Few more corners and this thing is unshakable. The Pirelli SuperCorsas doing a fine job. Bwarrrrrrrp, brake, lean...lean.....lean....bloody hell. It's on it's ear.

Looking at the bike in the dealers, with the long travel suspension, I thought it would feel a bit noodly. You know. High speed weaves and a feeling that the handlebars were connected to the front wheel with bungies...but NO.

Sure there was a bit of (well quite a bit of) suspension dive when you hit the brakes, but turn it and control mid corner were excellent. Certainly less jittery than the R1 on similar roads. The plush suspension taking it all in it's stride.

Further mention must go to the Brembos. Without doubt the best brake set up I have ever experienced. Awesome power, great initial bite, but easily modulated.

Triple figures were hard work on the neck under acceleration. One you got hunkered down though it wasn't too bad. 0 - 90 is were the fun is though. I was easily keeping up with my mate on his 749S on the B roads and the big wide bars made getting it into a corner a piece of the proverbial. The steering was light, but not flighty.

So would I get one? Yep. Probably. After the R1 I thought an aircooled thou would be a bit of a disappointment. Let me tell you now. It ain't. There is enough of everything, with an excess of low down, out of corner torque and epic brakes. After riding IL4s with massively high rev ceilings, I thought I was going to keep hitting the limiter and running out of revs. I hit the limiter once and it was quite soft. It doesn't kill everything but you know you've reached it.

So; awesome brakes; great gobs of low down torque; more than enough grunt; great seating position; corners (woot); looks IMO - poor show on the mirrors. Truly useless. And the worlds worst indicator switch. You don't know if it has worked when you use it until you see the little green light on the dash, and cancelling the thing is impossible unless you are concentrating 100% and are positive with the thing.

GRIN.

Last edited by Scoobs; 25-09-10 at 04:39 PM.
Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-10, 05:20 PM   #2
hindle8907
Mega Poster

Default Re: Hypermotard 1100 Evo

cheers dude, the guy over the road from me has one looks the dogs dangers me thinks.
2010-Now -- 00 SV650s & 00 SV650n & GSXR 600 K2
hindle8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-10, 05:26 PM   #3
mattSV
Mega Poster

Looks **** to me

2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-10, 05:57 PM   #4
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

was it a new one?

greames mates got one and i've always thought it looked cool

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-10, 06:45 AM   #5
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Yep. Brand spanker.

Old 26-09-10, 10:38 AM   #6
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

tut, jealous

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-10, 05:41 PM   #7
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Here's mine:

Awesome ain't they? Mines got all the bits you would ever want. It's not the EVO but it's basically the slightly older equivilant of the Evo SP with the monoblock brakes which are awesome!!!
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.

Last edited by Mr Speirs; 26-09-10 at 06:41 PM.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-10, 05:43 PM   #8
petevtwin650

This your mate, Scoobs?

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/duc...-r1-rider.html
Old 26-09-10, 10:10 PM   #9
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
Yep. I posted my review on his Farcebook page and he copied it to the Ducati forum.

Old 23-02-15, 04:38 PM   #10
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

So. Update on this. Didn't get the Hypermotard 1100....

....but I DID get the Hypermotard 821.

Was just having a chat to my brother over Christmas saying that I was going to change the R1 this year with no real intention on doing it right now. But you know how it is. Get home. Check the internet for what's around. See something local. Think you'll go and have a look at it. Get convinced to take it out for a test ride. Price is better than anything else for sale. Get a really good deal on your current bike as trade in....bugger....brought it!

So I now have a Ducati Hypermotard 821 in stealth black with a Termignoni pipe. This came with the bike, but if I was to buy separate it would have cost a grand...!?! Totally, not worth it but it sounds lovely.

The 821 is now water cooled rather than the air cooled lump on the 1100. Still has the same high seat (870mm) but a bit more relaxed seating position. The tank is now 16 litres. The old one was 11 or 12 (can't remember now). Can get some decent mileage in between fuel stops.

The 821 comes with a full electronics package now over the 1100. ABS and traction control. Sport (110bhp), Touring (110bhp with a softer delivery) and Urban (75bhp....why would you?) modes. Each mode is user configurable so you can have Sport mode with no traction control, 100% ABS and 75 hp....if you really wanted to.

So onto the ride...mirrors are more conventional now mounted on stalks on the bars rather than bar end mirrors. Still crap though.

Throttle is really light - full ride by wire so no physical connection to the throttle bodies. Clutch is now a cable operated affair rather than the previous models hydraulically operated system. That to is really light. The combination of light throttle and light clutch action make it really difficult to pull away smoothly. The clutch is really fierce. It's OK if you slip it a bit for a gentle pull away, but when you are trying to gas it from the lights it can make you look a little amateur. I stalled it three times trying to fire it onto a roundabout. "F" sake!

I've changed the levers to some adjustable aftermarket CNC ones and this makes all the difference. Can tune the clutch bite point and the lever reach so high speed getaways are a lot better now. Look better too. Bonus.

Most of the rides to date have been wet or cold or both. The day I picked it up it was torrential rain...so this Ducati HAS been ridden in the wet. I started off in Touring mode but halfway home switched to Sport. This livens the feel of the bike up but not so it's overly twitchy. Wasn't giving it anywhere near the full beans. New bike, wet weather. Didn't want to bin it....and anyone that knows me knows I like to chuck a bike down the road from time to time.

Anyhow, last weekend was dry and a barmy 8 degrees. Got the bike out and managed about 100 decent miles in some semi decent weather. Few miles to warm up the Super Corsas before gassing it.

It doesn't quite have the punch of the air cooled motor, but firing it out of a corner is still accompanied by enough torque to put a big grin on your face. The traction control wasn't really put to the test as I didn't notice the TC light come on more than a couple of times. You can just gas it and let the bike sort out how much it's going to give you. Trying to get your head around that is quite difficult. Without traction control it is the right wrist that meters the throttle. With TC you just gas and hold on. Brain needs more recalibration to do this.

Brakes are absolutely stonking still. Twin Brembo monoblocks on 320mm rotors with ABS! You are gonna stop...fast.

By the end of the ride I was really starting to gel with the bike. Part of the reason I brought it was because the R1 was too fast. I thought this would slow me down a bit. I guess it has. Triple figures are literally a pain in the neck. However, this bike just wants you to ride it quickly. I reckon I am riding it quicker than the R1 on the twisties already. I can tell that this bike is going to be fun....when the nice weather arrives. In the meantime, I will just turn the heated grips to high!