SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-01-17, 04:58 PM   #11
wyrdness

Default Re: 3D Printing To CNC Machining

Do you have a hackspace near you? They often have the kinds of machinery that you might need, including 3D printers, CNC machines and laser cutters. It might be far cheaper than buying your own kit, if you're only making a few items. http://www.hackspace.org.uk/

Last edited by wyrdness; 09-01-17 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-01-17, 07:21 PM   #12
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Gizafookinclue what you're making?

I do 3d design a lot at work and we get loads of stuff CNC'd so can give you a good idea.

Happy to help turn your fag packet drawing into a cad file/machining drawings.

However, you're barking up wrong tree with some of this stuff.... 2 plates and a joining bar... get them laser cut and weld them together, piece of ****.

What you need is a laser scanner can do it... but you'll have to wait a couple of weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
another option is casting. take/send the part off to a foundry and they will do the rest. 1 off small part in alloy will be around £50-60 but you will have to wait till they are casting alloy.

might be best if you pop a pic up of the part so we can see.
£50-60 is pretty ambitious, maybe that if you've 3d printed your pattern equipment!
Old 09-01-17, 07:23 PM   #13
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness View Post
Do you have a hackspace near you? They often have the kinds of machinery that you might need, including 3D printers, CNC machines and laser cutters. It might be far cheaper than buying your own kit, if you're only making a few items. http://www.hackspace.org.uk/
Do these nutters seriously let joe bloggs set about a CNC machine?!

This is a big boys game where if you get a decimal point in the wrong place and have a pile up it can cost you 10 grand!
Old 09-01-17, 07:24 PM   #14
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

For your 3d print once you have a CAD model... check out 3dhubs website... you can put the part out to tender and get a load of quotes back, you can get prints done from everything from hobby-level FDM printers to serious wonga aerospace type SLS printers.
Old 09-01-17, 08:23 PM   #15
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by millemille View Post
For one off simple parts that you want to be produced as cheaply as possible CNC is NOT what you want.

Whatever format you produce your requirements in - back of fag packet drawings, physical models, CAD drawings etc. - these still have to be turned into a machine program for the CNC machine to follow.

This is what costs money, the material and machine time (once the program has been proved) is peanuts, comparatively.

CNC is only appropriate where the machining is too complex for manual machining, where the design & programming & machining time is less than the manual machining time, where you are making multiple items and/or there is a likelihood of design revisions as the production run takes place.
I'd disagree with you there.

Simple example... a PCD of holes! Do that longhand on a bridgeport with a DRO? Versus pressing "PCD of holes" button on protoTRAK or something?
You could program that faster than you've found your zeus book and looked up the formula for x,y of 7 hole pattern let alone done the sums.

Rounding off a corner when you're milling a square? Ok just set the job up on a faceplate on a rotary table so you can crank it round on your manual machine...
How much is your workshop charging for the bloke to put his back out lifting the rotary? And is it reallllly saving much time compared to tapping in "G02 X Y i j ..." and getting it all done in one operation.

Loads of jobbing shops have CNC's for making one offs and small run parts for this reason
Old 09-01-17, 08:48 PM   #16
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

This is all driven by Project: 500GP and the frame tabs for the fairings that aren't there:

The gold painted fairing bracket has already been replaced by these, but the tab that should have been on the frame is the problem. What was there was some random off cut of something screwed into the frame shown mounted from the other side:

I need to replace these with a bracket of my own design as getting a spare frame to chop off or replicate from is a little bit tricky considering the rarity and age of the bike. Trouble is until I get the bike built I won't know exactly what I need to make and even then I expect it might take a couple of attempts, hence my 3D printing and prototyping idea and then getting it machined.

But I've already had to have some parts made for me and more are in the pipeline. Which got me thinking couldn't I do this myself? I looked at a milling machine from Machine Mart, but they ain't cheap, I don't have the room, and I've never driven one before. But then if I could do it myself I'd want to make more things like nice lower fairing brackets (similar to the upper ones I've linked to), a clock support, wheel spacers, little things like that. And if I managed to get anywhere near comfortable with it the ultimate goal would be rearsets!

That hackspace looks interesting and there is one near me with a milling machine so will check that out.

But basically thats the tree I'm barking up... Is it the right one?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 08:57 PM   #17
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Ugh that looks a pile of toss doesn't it!

Personally I think you might be barking up wrong tree looking at milling, that's more of a fabrication to me. Make that back bit from a piece of ally plate, laser cut it, bend it 90deg to the frame. Weld a bit of round tube in and make the outer bit with another laser cut part.

To mill that shape may well be a right *******. Bear in mind the hardest bit about milling stuff is actually getting hold of the part in a very rigid way so the cutter doesn't chatter (bounce around and make a mess)
Old 09-01-17, 09:37 PM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

if it is just the tab on the frame that is a sheet metal bending job, B & Q do a nice range of ready made corner and shelf brackets - some of which look similar to the right angled tabs in the picture.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 10:18 PM   #19
millemille

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I'd disagree with you there.

Simple example... a PCD of holes! Do that longhand on a bridgeport with a DRO? Versus pressing "PCD of holes" button on protoTRAK or something?
You could program that faster than you've found your zeus book and looked up the formula for x,y of 7 hole pattern let alone done the sums.

Rounding off a corner when you're milling a square? Ok just set the job up on a faceplate on a rotary table so you can crank it round on your manual machine...
How much is your workshop charging for the bloke to put his back out lifting the rotary? And is it reallllly saving much time compared to tapping in "G02 X Y i j ..." and getting it all done in one operation.

Loads of jobbing shops have CNC's for making one offs and small run parts for this reason
Maybe you should read what I actually wrote?
millemille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 10:49 PM   #20
Teejayexc

These what you're looking for. May get an idea of what to make?

http://picclick.co.uk/Yamaha-YSR50-F...086566769.html
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote