SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-09-16, 10:43 AM   #1
andrewmc35

Default 2007 sv650s idling issue

Hi all,

New to bikes and new to this form so Hi everybody! As a first bike I picked myself up a 2007 sv650s, I absolutely love the bike so far apart from one niggling problem I'm having issues with high idle after about 10-15mins of driving, the bike will start fine and idle fine but then after about driving for a bit it starts to idle at around 2-4k rpm which makes it incredibly difficult to control in traffic. I know there is an idle adjuster on the bike and have tried adjusted it but it only seems to adjust the idle up but not down. In terms of the throttle cable it snaps back perfectly when i let off it and I have tried to twist it tighter in the closed direction to see if the cable is getting jammed but it doesn't have any effect. The bike has a throttle restrictor on it so not sure if this could be doing something to it.

Would anyone have any suggestions that might help fix the issue? would the TPS mod I've read about resolve it?

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 16-09-16, 08:54 PM   #2
Runako

Default Re: 2007 sv650s idling issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmc35 View Post
Hi all,

New to bikes and new to this form so Hi everybody! As a first bike I picked myself up a 2007 sv650s, I absolutely love the bike so far apart from one niggling problem I'm having issues with high idle after about 10-15mins of driving, the bike will start fine and idle fine but then after about driving for a bit it starts to idle at around 2-4k rpm which makes it incredibly difficult to control in traffic. I know there is an idle adjuster on the bike and have tried adjusted it but it only seems to adjust the idle up but not down. In terms of the throttle cable it snaps back perfectly when i let off it and I have tried to twist it tighter in the closed direction to see if the cable is getting jammed but it doesn't have any effect. The bike has a throttle restrictor on it so not sure if this could be doing something to it.

Would anyone have any suggestions that might help fix the issue? would the TPS mod I've read about resolve it?

Cheers,

Andrew
Probably. At the very least it gives you a reason to have a proper root around and see for yourself. It could be lubrication that's needed. It could be something fouling.

I say get the cables out and check the routing to start then try the TPS. Or do the TPS anyway.
Old 17-09-16, 06:48 AM   #3
glang

I take it theres no warranty on this bike as a return to the dealer would be my first action. If not definitely dont start fiddling with other items like TPS as this is just going to complicate the matter - fix the problem first. Later twin spark SVs have the tick over controlled automatically by the ECU with no manual adjustment so you could have a sensor problem in that it might not be registering the engine warming up so keeps injecting the fuel needed when its cold. Have you searched on here and the SV rider site for similar faults?
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-16, 04:45 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Moved to SV talk

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-16, 05:57 PM   #5
aesmith

I'm thinking maybe the fast idle is sticking, and only becoming apparent as really fast once the bike's warmed up. Would be worth checking the linkage is all free moving.

Do you have a manual? There's a Suzuki manual available for download, called "2003 on", but that won't be the correct one if 2007 is twin-spark.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-16, 06:01 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

if there is an idle adjuster on the bike then you have a 2006. yes your bike might have been registered in 2007 but the model is what is called a K6. this is important when buying spares as the 2007 (K7) bikes are different due to being a twin spark (two spark plugs per head).

does the throttle snap back quickly from full throttle position when you let go when the bike is off?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-16, 03:15 PM   #7
andrewmc35

Hi guys,

Firstly thanks for all the replies, I think I'll stick with what glang said and leave the TPS mod alone as I dont have a definitive root cause yet. Unfortunately it was a private sale so no warranty on it. Is that suzuki manual somewhere on this forum so I can download it? It must be a k6 then as I have the idle adjuster on the bike. Yep the throttle snaps back instantly when you let off the throttle, however one thing I noticed is that when I really twist the grip in the closed direction the revs seem to drop when idling high. I brought the bike to a repair shop and the mechanic reckons there should be a a bit more free play in the throttle cable then whats currently on the bike so I might have a go at loosening the adjusters a tad and see if that helps.

Also on a side note I done the dealer mode trick and I was getting the C00 code up so everything seems normal from that point of view.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers,

Andrew
Old 19-09-16, 08:17 AM   #8
aesmith

This is where I got the manual from, it's a 44meg ZIP file with a PDF for each chapter.
http://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp?p=1723
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-16, 01:16 PM   #9
andrewmc35

Thanks aesmith, I'll have a read through that today.