SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-01-17, 06:21 PM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default 3D Printing To CNC Machining

So I've got this crazy idea... I need some parts for my YSR50 that are not made by anyone, only simple stuff like brackets and such like and I had this idea to make them myself only I'm not an engineer.

But I got thinking (dangerous I know) that I could design the part and then using one of these newfangled 3D printers print out the part in plastic to ensure it fits and make any required changes (Rapid Prototyping or what 3D printers were intended for). With the design perfected I could then send it to a CNC shop and receive back my shiny ally part for the bike.

The only problem with that plan is I know nothing about any of it! Do any of you?

Working my way back, I need a CNC shop that will do one offs. I then need to be able to provide them a co-ordinate file that they can handle. I would have produced the part from a 3D printer using the same program.

Therefore recommendations for a machine shop, what software to use, and what printer I need would be gratefully received along with any other information that I'll need to know...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 06:46 PM   #2
Kenzie

Default Re: 3D Printing To CNC Machining

I own a basic 3d printer and at the moment know enough to download, slice and print. I have heard good things about the makerbot units. Its best to get one with a heated bed as this helps the item stick better, also get one with a decent size bed. Mine is only 140x140mm. You then have to choose PLA or ABS for the actual printing. A printer with a control panel and an SD card slot will be good too as you can print without a computer running.

Last edited by Kenzie; 08-01-17 at 06:49 PM.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 08:15 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

most cad programs will export to whatever. 3d cad is tricky and i just cant get to grips with it. its the designing that costs the wonga but once done then you can get the fab work done anywhere and yes that includes china.

there were a few peeps on here that work with 3d cad but i cant remember who it was.

almost forgot.. you can get 3d laser scanners

Last edited by Bibio; 08-01-17 at 08:17 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 08:42 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

I used to work with 3d software.

You can design in programmes like autodesk revit (as an example). What you could do is enroll on to a city and guilds in 3d design as you can blag a year's licence to the software

Amazon are selling 3d printers for a fair price

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 10:04 PM   #5
daktulos

One thing to be aware of is shrinkage. It sounds like a good idea, but make sure you measure every part after you print as they often need adjusting.

You also need to make sure that the part you're printing can be printed - with most 3d printers, you can't print anything with an overhang (or much of one). The slicing software will add supports which can be snapped off, but if they're internal it can be a problem.

For prototyping complex parts, it's going to be easier (and quicker) to print it in pieces and glue them together.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 12:44 AM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Some good information there. Another thing to consider is price, I'm looking to do this the cheapest way I can. So I don't think I need the latest and greatest I'd be happy with secondhand kit and open source software. The parts I'll be looking to make really will be simple for example the lower fairing bracket. This has two face plates and a joining bar; 3 parts that once in metal can be welded together with the help of a jig. I'm not going to be designing engine parts or anything critical.

If there are any specific recommendations to look into that would be great.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 03:49 AM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

another option is casting. take/send the part off to a foundry and they will do the rest. 1 off small part in alloy will be around £50-60 but you will have to wait till they are casting alloy.

might be best if you pop a pic up of the part so we can see.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 12:07 PM   #8
millemille

For one off simple parts that you want to be produced as cheaply as possible CNC is NOT what you want.

Whatever format you produce your requirements in - back of fag packet drawings, physical models, CAD drawings etc. - these still have to be turned into a machine program for the CNC machine to follow.

This is what costs money, the material and machine time (once the program has been proved) is peanuts, comparatively.

CNC is only appropriate where the machining is too complex for manual machining, where the design & programming & machining time is less than the manual machining time, where you are making multiple items and/or there is a likelihood of design revisions as the production run takes place.

Obviously I have access to CNC mill (4 axis) and lathe and can get your machining done. TBH I wouldn't bother with file formats etc. make your test pieces in whatever format you can/want and then hand those over.
millemille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 12:14 PM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

It is possible for aerospace and other high end users to make metal parts directly with 3D printers, but probably out of reach of mere mortals at the moment

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 12:26 PM   #10
DuncanC

If you can draw it on a fag packet, with dimensions I should be able to turn it into a 3D CAD model for you. If you can find someone to knock up a 3D print then you can test for fit. I wouldn't worry about print material as you only want it as a template so it doesn't need any strength or uv resistance. I would agree that CNC matching is likely to be to costly unless you know someone who can do it for you. Unless it is very complex simple machining should be suitable. CNC is only worth while for complex shapes or making batches otherwise the set up costs make it prohibitive.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote