SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-08-06, 04:43 PM   #1
Jon from Bristol

Default 2-3 a month...scary stuff!

I was reading on the BBC News website recently of a biker being killed whilst riding his bike. Then I thought, hey! didnt I read this story a few weeks ago? So I typed in the words *motorbike* and *crash* on the BBC News web search engine and this is what popped up.

http://search.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/sear...all&recipe=all

Grim reading indeed. According to these headlines bikers are involved in fatal accidents 2-3 times per month - every month. This is only a straw poll, who knows it could be much worse? So remember the next time you go out, dont let yourself become yet another depressing headline news story.

Jon from Bristol.
Old 27-08-06, 05:55 PM   #2
Jabba

For those who are interested in statistics relating to motorbike crashes, this is the most authoritative study I have found.

If only it was 2-3- a month

Ride safe.
Old 27-08-06, 05:59 PM   #3
Razor

"There is thus some statistical support for anecdotal evidence that the born again
motorcycle rider is becoming something of a public health problem."

Tell us something we didn't know.
Old 27-08-06, 06:23 PM   #4
Saint Matt

I was gonna say, 2-3 a month is a lot less than I would have thought lol.
Old 27-08-06, 06:25 PM   #5
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor

At least you can point to a peer-reviewed report when quoting that as fact rather than some gut instinct or pub gossip.

For me, the comforting bit is that although total KSIs are increasing the figure is still falling when total mileage is taken into account.

Also, it's good to see the total number of bikers on the increase. That can only be a good thing because, as the report says, drivers will learn to look for bikes as they become more used to their presence on the roads.
Old 27-08-06, 07:04 PM   #6
lynw

Frankly I wouldnt rely on the news for accurate statistics - all you get to see is the ones they deem reportable. Not all bike accidents where the biker has died are.

Bikers die all year round - they have done for a long time and will do so unfortunately for a long time too given the appalling standard of driving that is existant on our roads.

This happens for a number of reasons. Young inexperienced bikers are as high a group as born agains [you know, the guys who think they know everything, cant be told and think restriction is unfair and of no benefit to them ]. FWBs who think getting back on after 4-5 months of not riding doesnt mean they need to ease into it again and can just hair about like they did last year. And quite simply riders who do all they can to be careful but cant legislate for bad and careless driving.

Biking is dangerous. All you can do is try and minimise the risk but you have to accept that sometimes it could happen without you doing anything wrong [case in point a friend of my mums went round a bend to have a head on with an HGV on wrong side of the road. ]

But as someone said on visordown, as the daffodils come up so does the biking accident stats. And hes been right year in year out without fail unfortunately.
Primarily the stats are going to be worse in spring/summer as there are more bikes on the road. Come winter theres less so less biking accidents despite the obvious poor weather.
Old 27-08-06, 07:12 PM   #7
Toypop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
"There is thus some statistical support for anecdotal evidence that the born again
motorcycle rider is becoming something of a public health problem."

Nope it is misleading statistics.

I have just read the first part which said the number of deaths has risen. This is down to an increase in the number of motorcycles. The number of accidents per mile they say are falling.

The reason more older riders are involved is because they now make up a larger proportion.

So in fact the born again riders are actually safer.

Since the age bias changed from young men to older men the accident rate per mile has fallen.
Old 27-08-06, 07:55 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Ihere are three types of lies----
Lies,Damned lies and statistics.
You can interpret the figures any old way,but I prefere to use my gut instincts and common sense.I believe biking is inherently much more dangerous than most other forms of road use and I try to modify my riding accordingly.But risk and exitement is what makes us alive as compared to just existing,and biking helps to give me that.
Old 31-08-06, 01:15 AM   #9
stuartyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Matt
I was gonna say, 2-3 a month is a lot less than I would have thought lol.
lol???Whats funny about it?