SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-10-09, 07:48 PM   #1
mike_avfc

Default thinking about moving to track day only - thoughts ?

i've not ridden the gixer for about a month now and to be honest i haven't really got the bug to take it out. After whats happened recently i am more conscious of crashing, and secondly after what happened tonite (rap on the knuckles by the police, no fine though, phew !!) i'm conscous about my license as i'm proper f^&t without it for work.

I share a track bike now with a mate and it's great, bombing around, no worries about the law and most people are sensible on the track. If i crash then i'm less likely to hit a stationary object.

so, having just insured the bike for another year last month (grrr!) i'm seriously thinking about selling it and getting a track bike for 3-4k and a small trailer. I don't think it's worth converting the bike to a track bike as i'm sure it's still worth a reasonable figure (fully serviced and 5k on the clock, great condition)

I'm sure there must be people who have done this or are thinking of doing it ??? if so, i'd be interested on your thoughts...

Last edited by mike_avfc; 24-10-09 at 07:58 PM. Reason: x
Old 24-10-09, 07:58 PM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: thinking about moving to track day only - thoughts ?

Thought about it in but I enjoy riding to much generally.

Part of the fun in riding for me is meeting up with a group of like minded people and just heading out for a long days riding.

Maybe if I could afford to comfortably do a trackday EVERY weekend I would consider it a bit more seriously, but that wont be happening anytme soon and I would still miss doing my favourite roads with friends.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-09, 08:51 PM   #3
Rich
Mega Poster

You'll regret it when summer comes around again. You've insured it for another year, why not give it until the begining of next summer to decide what you want to do, also it will be a better time to sell the bike if you decide to.
Old 25-10-09, 12:33 AM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

There are loads of reasons not to do it and loads of reasons to do it.

Never done it myself, but dont feel like riding myself at the moment, so bike stays tucked up in the garage till I feel like riding it again.

If I only had a track bike. I'd never have done half the rideouts that I had, I'd never have met half the people I have. Its not just a bike its a way of meeting like minded individuals, Its a way of visiting parts of the country / world I've never been to before. Its a way of exploring and not being tied down by the trappings of life and all that goes with it, gear up, lid on, visor down, and gone. I dont know if track riding would give me that.

I guess it depends on what floats your boat...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-09, 12:49 AM   #5
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
If I only had a track bike. I'd never have done half the rideouts that I had, I'd never have met half the people I have. Its not just a bike its a way of meeting like minded individuals, Its a way of visiting parts of the country / world I've never been to before. Its a way of exploring and not being tied down by the trappings of life and all that goes with it, gear up, lid on, visor down, and gone. I dont know if track riding would give me that.
I don't agree with that. You meet just as many people at the track - just different people True, you won't get to see as much of the country, but you will meet a lot of like minded people - especially in the club racing scene.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-09, 09:28 AM   #6
Dicky Ticker

Fizz and others---Yes you probably would not have met the people you have but different people instead,got to agree with LM on this
Track days and any racing is an expensive way to ride a bike but if you are worried about your license and enjoy a really good thrash,the safest way to go
My son does endurance racing for the reason above[Save his license] but he started doing track days only then got bitten by the track bug
Old 25-10-09, 09:51 AM   #7
fastdruid
Mega Poster

I wouldn't even spend 3-4k on a track bike, get one for ~1k and spend the rest on fuel, tyres and trackdays.

Like this one we bought for 500quid

Druid
Old 25-10-09, 10:27 AM   #8
mister c
Mega Poster

There are 2 ways of looking at this really. Yes, track days are fun, but road riding can be as well. I was going to give up road riding, there is a thread on here about it somewhere, because I was on a downer at the time. I will be honest & say I am so pleased that I didn't. I love riding a bike, it beats driving any day of the week, but I can't tell you why. My car has covered 2900 miles in 13 months & I want to sell it because it doesn't move. The bike has done 4 times that distance.
On the other hand, my son rode 120 miles a day to & from work (even on a CG125 for a short while) until he passed his car test, he then sold his CBF600 and bought a track bike. He hasn't missed road riding one jot.
I think it all depends on you & no one else & how much you enjoy riding a bike.
The other option, like Druid said, buy a cheap track bike. Like him, I picked mine up for £450 & it might not be the fastest in the world, but I still get one hell of a buzz out of it on track

mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-09, 08:13 PM   #9
fatneck

I was considering selling my Gixxer, and using the money from it to buy an cheap 600 supersports for the track and some kind of naked retro/muscle/streetfighter type bike for the road. The idea being a naked bike would keep the speed down on the road.

I then went for an amazing ride on my 750 and scrapped that idea promptly - its just too damn good to sell!
Old 25-10-09, 08:24 PM   #10
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I think it very much depends on what you want out of your road riding. I don't own a road legal big sports bike anymore, just a 600 Hornet for sensible stuff and my SV for having a laugh, and on the right kind of roads it provides plenty. Sports bikes have become very competent, and unfortunately they are often a whole lot better than the people that ride them. There's an obvious answer to that one.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote