SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 26-03-18, 02:53 PM   #1
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Anyone get out over the weekend, then?

Fairly thick fog round my way Sunday morning but I was gagging for a ride, so I headed steadily west towards Holmes Chapel.

It was so thick that my glasses misted up but as soon as I crossed the M6, the fog magically disappeared and I had the first proper ride of the year to the Horseshoe. The Ponderosa was already busy at 10am so plenty of other people had an early start too.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 10:30 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyone get out over the weekend, then?

Never had the chance to get out on Saturday, and was at a running event on Sunday. I might try and escape for a few hours this weekend though.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 10:14 AM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

Saw yesterday they've put average speed cameras up on the stretch from the roundabout at the top of the Horseshoe down to Corwen, which is a bit strange.
Old 31-03-18, 04:53 PM   #4
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Not been that way for a while as the Ponderosa is not somewhere I visit all that often. I must be a bit of a heretic, as I don't really like the place all that much. I do remember coming down that road towards Corwen in the past though and seeing (and being overtaken by) a number of bikes travelling at pretty stupid speeds.
Old 31-03-18, 09:24 PM   #5
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Not been that way for a while as the Ponderosa is not somewhere I visit all that often. I must be a bit of a heretic, as I don't really like the place all that much.
Me neither, but it's a handy halfway point for a Sunday morning ride for me, just under 70 miles from my house near Macclesfield (Macc > Holmes Chapel > Middlewich > Nantwich > A534 to Wrexham bypass > Coedpoeth then the A525 to the Horseshoe. A really nice, challenging mix of roads.

Then down the Horseshoe past Valle Crucis Abbey to Llangollen, and east to Whitchurch then up to Crewe, Congleton and back to Macc. About 3 and a half hours all in, including a coffee at the Ponderosa.
Old 01-04-18, 07:06 AM   #6
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Some nice roads in that lot! I particularly like the road from Ellesmere to Nantwich via Whitchurch.

Last edited by garynortheast; 01-04-18 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-04-18, 09:00 AM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Saw yesterday they've put average speed cameras up on the stretch from the roundabout at the top of the Horseshoe down to Corwen, which is a bit strange.
News to me and I'm local However, if you mean the A5104 from Pen-y-Stryt to Corwen (linky) I'm not surprised, so folks go at silly speeds down there. It's 'dead leg' side of a triangle for me, so rarely traveled. You got any photos / type of camera information? FYI They are talking of making the Ponderosa down to Llangollen a 40 limit with average speed cameras too.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-18, 09:02 AM   #8
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Just found this with a quick Google http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-n...wales-42801881

Old 03-04-18, 10:57 AM   #9
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
News to me and I'm local However, if you mean the A5104 from Pen-y-Stryt to Corwen (linky) I'm not surprised, so folks go at silly speeds down there. It's 'dead leg' side of a triangle for me, so rarely traveled. You got any photos / type of camera information? FYI They are talking of making the Ponderosa down to Llangollen a 40 limit with average speed cameras too.
Yes, that's the one. I can see why there have been so many accidents on that stretch as it's fairly narrow with lots of blind corners etc.

Interestingly, the first set of cameras (just past the roundabout at the end of the Horseshoe) are only one-way, pointing East towards the roundabout. So if you're heading west, they can't see your numberplate.

About halfway along that stretch, in Bryneglwys, there are two-way cameras, which will pick up your plate for the final bit down to just before the A494 turn-off to Ruthin.

Re the Ponderosa down to Llangollen, be careful if you are heading that way in the next few weeks, the road surface has got broken up in places which means there's loads of loose chippings on certain corners. Caused me a nervous moment on Sunday as there was a patch right on my line.

Last edited by Craig380; 03-04-18 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-04-18, 02:54 PM   #10
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I rarely go that way on the bike, to many fools and to many speed vans / police. However, I'll note what you say about the road, I do go over the Horseshoe in the car to get to my daughter's house. I tend to have a recce run on my favourite routes about now to see what winter has done to them.