SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 22-06-07, 01:25 PM   #1
Tomcat

Default Tom tom 2 european

Anyone tried it yet, I know its new out, but am thinking about it, just looking for an honest review .... its supposed to be the dog's bo**ocks!
Old 22-06-07, 01:37 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tom tom 2 european

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
Anyone tried it yet, I know its new out, but am thinking about it, just looking for an honest review .... its supposed to be the dog's bo**ocks!
Read my previous thoughts on TomTom - do a search.

Nice product but the company sucks.

Although I did find out that my software license is transferable, so if I can find a device that will run the software, I can transfer the license onto that.

Something like a Nokia N95, or hopefully, if they work out how to do it, my Zaurus PDA.

Personally I would go for the Garmin Zumo, but that DOES cost more, but it gets better reviews too.

David

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-07, 06:49 PM   #3
furkuk

Just bought one, never used a Sat nav before and I am well impressed by the TomTom europe. Appears very good quality, very easy to use and nice and compact so fits easily into my pocket. Also you can use it whilst on foot. My son used it to visit London and said it made it so much easier. Got the free speed cameras download. Overall, looks good.
Old 25-06-07, 02:39 PM   #4
chazzyb

I was contemplating buying one too. The Cardo bluetooth headset as part of the deal makes it look v. attractive. I would still need a headset (like the Cardo) if I went for the Zumo.
Old 25-06-07, 02:54 PM   #5
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
My son bought one (well part xmas pressie) for his trip to France / Europe and work in France.

He says it is really useful and so far has not found anywhere it does not know or a road it does not know about. He has gone up some unclassified roads looking at rivers, so it must be fairly detailed!

I used it for a trip to Staines, to find my way to Shepperton weir in the dark (for a bit of boating under floodlights) and it was great. Adding points of interest, such as filling stations and river access points makes it very useful for finding little known places.

Must admit to thinking of one for my upcoming trip.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-07, 03:16 PM   #6
chazzyb

The clincher for me is being able to develop and plot a reasonably complicated rideout route on the PC and then download it and have it called out turn-by-turn while riding. No more trying to read a sheet of paper in the top of the tank bag.
Old 03-07-07, 07:29 PM   #7
Tomcat

Well have bought the tom tom european 2. Tried it out in the car, helmet on, managed to find my way to my mum's, and kept dry!!

Am very impressed, will try it around the alps next week

Old 03-07-07, 09:46 PM   #8
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I bought a tomtom 2 recently, uk version, although I now have the european maps too. Great in the car, although not sure about using it on the bike as the battery life is limited if you don't have a cigar lighter. Might see if I can rig something up in the tank bag to keep it all dry.
Old 04-07-07, 06:46 AM   #9
Tomcat

We are wiring it up to the battery, so it charges as you use it. Also, its waterproof isn't it? (This is the motorbike specific one, maybe it's not quite the same one, or you just don't trust 'waterproof'!!)
Old 04-07-07, 09:21 AM   #10
Jelster

Exclamation Re: Tom tom 2 european

Be careful, most GPS units are 5 volt, not 12... The cigarette lighter adaptor drops the voltage. I "almost" made the same mistake....

Quote:
We are wiring it up to the battery, so it charges as you use it. Also, its waterproof isn't it? (This is the motorbike specific one, maybe it's not quite the same one, or you just don't trust 'waterproof'!!)